Washing machine improvement I'd like to see

I just spent a long time getting a washer leveled.

I can reach the front legs in place, but have to pull it out to adjust the back legs, which is a pain, and since no floor is perfectly level it's trial and error to get it right.

There is no reason the little adjuster legs couldn't extend up to the top of the machine. It would be easy to put a socket wrench on the bolt head and get them just right, while the washer is in place.

Reply to
TimR

My ancient Whirpool has self-leveling legs

they are spring loaded and when it was installed, they just set it down and it was level

Reply to
philo

I've never had to adjust a washer. Maybe the appliance delivery guy did when it was first delivered.

Sounds like you have a $10 solution to a $1 problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm not even sure about my 35-year old Sears (Whirlpool), even though I've been back there a lot.

But the Whirlpool machine I found on the street around 1975, which had some rust** and must have been 10 years old at least had its rear legs connected together so one went up when the other went down. One just had to plop the machine down, not interfere with gravity entirely, so that it overcame friction and the legs hit the ground at the same time. (I think when it was new there was very little friction and one could oil it too.) The front legs were adjustable with a wrench. but I don't think I ever had to do so.

Is the Whirlpool method patented? If not, why wouldn't another brand do the same thing? It only took about 2 extra parts and a bracket on each side.

**95% of the rust on the major lid (in which was the lid one opened to put in clothes. I think I managed to take the whole major lid off (or I masked it) and painted it with white spray appliance Epox-ee, I think it was, and when it dried it was like baked on enamel that a new machine comes with. I had it for 8 years and the top never chipped or scratched. I was careful, but still.

The lid switch was broken and I spent an hour taking it apart and repairing it, and after it worked, I stuffed a paper wad in the hole so the switch was always closed, so I could add things while the machine ran. The right hand half of the kitchen sink was as big as a laundry sink so I used that for the output.

I had a roommate who was a Playboy bunny, but also a klutz. I told her not to leave the kitchen when she was using the machine, but I came home once to find the machine running and spilling water on the kitchen floor and her back in her room. Fortunately not enough water to leak into the apartment downstairs. Somehow in the 8 years I had the machine, that was the only time it overflowed. (I think it was water, not just suds.)

She also borrowed a sheet from me and when I got it back it had black mascara or eyebrow pencil marks or something all over it. And one day she pulled the rack out of the oven and dropped it on the kitchen chair and the floor. I slept in the maid's room right next to the kitchen and the sound of the rack hitting the floor was unmistakeable. I think she denied she'd had a problem, but the burn marks on the top of the chair back were also unmistakeable. The grooves burned out of the vinyl were the size of the grill rods and the spacing was the same. She'd dropped it because it was hot.

And finally, she told me she borrowed the Bunny Mother's keys to get something out of a closet, and later left and went home without returning the keys, and the mother coulnd't get her car out of the garage she'd parked in, and probably had to get home some other way and pay for parking an extra 16 hours. I think my roommate got fired after that. But she was a nice girl.

Reply to
micky

I noticed that my machine - it's about 8 years old - has everything but the outer case suspended by rubber straps (called shock dampers) and spring loaded suspension rods. Had to replace the motor and clutch after my basement flooded. So if yours is the same I don't think leveling has to be exact. I would settle for 3 degrees off level, though I got mine to about 1 degree, using a dial level. Hell, you don't even know if the case is square.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Nowadays I suspect all the delivery crews do is deliver the appliance to the location specified in the home.

It's up to the consumer to level the refrigerator or laundry appliance with those little screw feet on the bottom.

$$$$$!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I heard of one place that hung the washer via strong chains from the ceiling. Instead of dancing around unbalanced, the machine slowly swayed back and forth, turning side to side rhythmically!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I didn't get it perfectly level. I settled for having all four legs on the ground, close to level. When I started not all legs touched, and you could rock it from corner to corner.

If it's too far off level it shakes like crazy during the spin cycle.

Reply to
TimR

IDT being 1/8" out of level is the problem. The problem is all 4 feet not being on the floor and it wobbling.

Reply to
trader_4

You suspect wrong. I've bought three new appliances in the past couple of years. The delivery people put them in place and leveled as needed. Maybe Joe's Cheap Appliances takes shortcuts, but reputable dealers do it right.

Same with two power beds I bought last year. Assembled, inspected, perfect.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Lucky you Ed:

I've witnessed two cases of a new fridge delivery(my parents' place, and most recently at work) where I had to adjust the front feet to tilt the units back just enough so the door shut itself. Same with my parents' stove: I placed a bubble level on the cooktop and adjusted the screw-feet until the bubble centered in all directions.

But you don't have to believe me.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Got nothing to do with believing you. Different locations/companies handle it differently. I never bought an appliance where the delivery people didn't hook it up and level it. Can't remember if they hooked up the gas on the range and clothes dryer, but I'd rather do that myself anyway. Reefer delivery always included making sure it was working properly.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I have a self-leveling waterbed.

O Wren

I don't doubt you at all. Personally, I want the door to be able to stay open on the fridge but close with a light touch. The delivery people should be able to handle your needs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski