Washing machine hoses?

There was an article in the paper a couple days ago about the need to replace washing machine hoses regularly. Some guy from Allstate said they have to be replaced every two years and the braided metal ones are no more durable then the simple rubber ones.

My 15 year old rubber hoses were just replaced because I bought a new washer and they replace the hoses routinely. They look perfect. Was I just lucky or what? The hoses are in a really awkward place, but I don't really want to have a flooded house. Are there any authoritative references on the matter.

Reply to
Toller

I'm a dumb ass. Honest. I mean I complained about not being able to get my refrigerator our form the wall, and I didn't take the food out first, duh.. so I'm not the best source but one thing that is important is to make sure the hoses are not crimped or with tension on any one point too much.

Reply to
Gray asphaly (formerly NSQ)

My State Farm agent told me that washing machine hoses should be replaced every 10 years. The State Farm website says "replace hoses every 3 to 5 years".

Apparently, State Farm policy holders tend to have better quality hoses than Allstate, and your insurance company's policy holders have the best hoses of all.

Reply to
Zelaznog Esoj

You could get a butterfly valve which makes it easy to turn off water to the washer with one lever.

Reply to
Art

I've seen them burst and flood the hell out of eveything. Get a quick valve and shut it off when not in use. No need to have pressure on the line if not in use.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

I heard numerous times they're a major cause of flood claims...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I have thought about that. Unfortunately the connection is made below a laundry tub inside a cabinet. My wife would not go for putting a valve back there. Someday, perhaps before the hoses are two years old, I should ripe everything out and replumb it.

I did just reduce the water pressure from 90psi to 55psi. That should make the hoses last longer, shouldn't it?

Reply to
Toller

the insurance companies ought to know as they pay the claims on people who have broken,leaking hoses.... State farm had a circular out with their bill that it cost millions of dollars to refurbish a house after the water leaks... they have electric controls for the washer if the hoses break..........

Reply to
jim

Hi,

Every 2 years sounds a bit much.

Many people never have a problem, but we are seeing more and more hoses bursting and causing damage.

One set of SS hoses may be best if you cannot access them regularily to check them...

6 foot stainless steel water fill hose with washeer.
Some reading materials....
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid
jeff

That will help for sure.

Reply to
EvoDawg

When you shut off the quick valve the hose(s) still remain under pressure. All you've done is create a hydraulic lock--the water is trapped between two closed valves (quick valve and the washer shut off valve) and the pressure inside the hoses remain the same as the line pressure, unless, of course, the washer shut off valve leaks and allows the pressure to bleed off--not likely though. The quick valve prevents a catastrophic flood in the event the hose experiences a failure. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Yes and isn't that what we are talking about here. If the hose breaks and the valve is turned off all you have is a puddle of water instead of hundreds of gallons of water. Semantics, I think he gets the picture..

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

there are braided stainless steel ones that ARE better than rubber ones. Maytag's hoses use to be brass fittings and not that cheap steel crap. They last for years.

I personally would go with the braided stainless steel ones or the Maytag ones that have brass fittings and forget about them for years.

Reply to
Geoman

You might want to consider thee hoses from Floodchek

They have a 20 year guarantee. I bought a pair and they are super. They ship to you and then you pay -- what trust.

Reply to
JohnF