Washing machine flood

Kenmore "direct drive" transmission clothes washer.
Was set on cold water wash. It had finished washing and finished first spin and was filling for rinse cycle when it reached about half-full tub point and all of a sudden water was all over the floor.
Turned it to off, it didn't stop the water, which was still pouring into a half-full tub. Pulled out electric plug, still didn't stop the water.
Turned off water supply and bailed out the tub.
Any clues to what it might be before I open it up?
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Solenoid valve? Tony
Well, managed to remember how to pull the cabinet off....it's been awhile.
The pump I replaced 3 years ago looks fine. The supply hoses leading to the machine, look fine, no evidence of leaks around the electric valves. The supply tube from the valves to the "part that sprays water into the tub" looks good. The clear tube that I think has to do with filling looks good (It connects to the side of the tub and leads back to the valves).
The big hoses from the pump to the tub and the pump to the drain look fine. The drain hose looks fine. It's not had this problem in the 20 years I've had it, so now I am a bit stumped.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

well where was the water comming from?
Mark
that's what i'm trying to find out ;)

Since the case is open, put in the garden hose, turn it on, and wait.
On 26 Nov 2005 19:05:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Turn the water back on while the cabinet is open and see where the water comes out?
Steve B.

Leftovers from Katrina.