Washing machine filling and rinsing with the wrong temperature

I have a Maytag Neptune washer that is about 6 years old. It came with our house when we bought it. As of yesterday, it is filling with hot water on any cycle that calls for cold water and vice versa. The hoses have not been touched and I know it was working right previously. I thought about just swapping the hot and cold hoses, but this must be indiciative of a problem. Has anyone ever heard of this happening ? Perhaps a bad circuit board ($$$) ? I searched but could find nothing that matches this scenario. Thanks in advance !

Reply to
daninnh1

According to :

It seems unusual that they might be operating in reverse. I'd pull the washer out and check that the hoses are connected the right way around first, even tho you're sure it hasn't been touched.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I'll bet that if you check with the other members of your household, you'll discover that somebody disconnected the hoses to move the washer to clean behind it, or retrieve a dropped article, or something like that.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Bingo.

Kids hiding their stash.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Sorry, but it must be something else going on. I checked the lines and they have not been touched. The machine is in a spot that makes it very hard to move and/or get at the lines. It is the most bizarre thing. I guess I will have to have someone come out. Thanks to all who have responded.

Reply to
daninnh1

The question should not be whether they have been touched, but whether they are connected correctly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Have you at least checked to see if they're connected correctly? The inlets on the washer are labelled to show which is hot and which is cold; check to make sure that the hoses are connected to the proper pipes.

If you call a repairman without checking first, my prediction is that you're going to pay a $100 service call to have the guy tell you the hoses are hooked up backward. It is *far* more likely that they've been wrong for years, and you never noticed until yesterday, than it is that the controls have failed in such a way that their operation is reversed and everything else works normally. I'm not saying that's impossible, just very, very unlikely in comparison. At least check which hose goes where, before you call a service tech.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You have a Maytag Neptune, and Neptune just passed the apogee (or aponep) of its orbit around the sun. This causes the water to reverse. Neptune's orbit is 186 years iirc so if you reverse the hoses, you should be ok for another 93.

There are more than two settings. But, if hot and cold work backwards, then warm should be ok. If wash and rinse are both backwards, then both should work out ok with the hoses switched. Sounds good to me. Maybe someday it will get bad again, and that might answer the nagging question, how did this happen in the first place?

Reply to
mm