Washing machine drum too fast

I have a Kleenmaid KAW793 top loader washing machine. Kleenmaid is the Australian version of Speed Queen.
During the agitation cycle, the inner tub should rotate a few degrees, stop, rotate a few degrees, stop ...
My machine now starts off doing that but seems to 'accelerate' so that after about a minute the tub is simply spinning non-stop. The agitator works perfectly.
Can anyone suggest ideas as to the possible cause of the problem?
Many thanks Ken
KSL wrote

Most washers have some sort of braking mechanism to stop the spinning of the tub during agitation. Some use an external brake (with lining like on a car), on others it is done inside the transmission in which case the transmission would usually have to be replaced if 'slipping'.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=clothes+washer
=~~~~~~
Thanks, Dan
I have been told that my machine has brake pads, so that will be the 'next port of call'.
Ken