washing machine drain height

Tell me if this is possible. I moved into my first house which has a finished basement. The problem is, the unfinished part of the basement (the section that has the washer/dryer) is on the opposite side of the basement as the septic tank. The previous owner has the washing machine drain into a septic pump which shoots the waste water up over the finished part of the basement and down into the septic pipe on the opposite part of the basement. This cross pipe is a PVC pipe that runs just abnove the suspending ceiling (along the floor rafters of the main floor). My question is, can the washing machine drain into this pipe at ceiling height? This cross pipe is at a slight slope (goes down about 1 foot over 25 feet length) towards the septic tank. So basically, can the washing machine crain into a pipe about 7 feet from the ground? Probably not? Thanks!!

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

My washer pumps to about 8' from the ground without any problems from the washer. Having it empty into a horizontal (basically) pipe will not work though. You need a vertical run to drain in to or it's almost going to get messy. My vertical pipe is about 2' tall and empties in to a 2" drain that is about 5' off of the ground. The top of the drain pipe is between the ceiling rafters in my basement. It sounds like you already have the proper setup with the sump pump. You are going to run in to trouble without using the sump pit if you try to drain an inordinate amount of suds from the washer or if something else, at the time, is draining into the pipe that your washer also drains through. I have had my share of overflowing the washer drain in the basement and I plan to install a sump pit one day to alleviate the problems.I have learned not to shower and do laundry at the same time for now.

Reply to
Olaf

Uh, I mean it's almost always going to get messy.

Reply to
Olaf