washing machine agitator sluggish

The action of the agitator on my 5 year old Kenmore top loader is not as enthusiastic as it used to be - noticably slower on normal cycle. ie the clothes dont move as fast in the water as they did. Is this something easily repairable or time for a new front loader ? Thanks !

Any squealing? Could be a worn or slipping belt.

Go here..... http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/site-map.html#cl_q1
and scroll down to Washing machine repairs, this will most likely answer any questions you may have.

Is this a direct drive or belt driven? If belt....most likely worn out belt.
I'm going to take a guess that your agitator has an auger at the top, and while the lower part is moving fine, the auger isn't ratcheting as it should, giving the impression that the whole thing isn't agitating as vigorously as it should. Most Kenmore washers come with a parts list so that you can see a parts breakdown of the area. If the auger isn't ratcheting, then replace the agitator dogs and you will be up and running just fine.
Thanks to all- its a direct drive and it seems that the agitator cam and dogs are worn.( Probably from grossly overloading it with clothes) The timer is also bad -have to jiggle it - total parts $89 plus S&H plus my time for which I wont get much thanks- so I'll suggest she buy a new one ! Cheers, Chris.