Washing machine ...

The repair man did a pretty useless, imo, check of my washer while repairing my dryer. When he took the top off there was evident a lot of debris in the outer casing. I asked him to open it so I could clean it which he was unwilling to do, even though the $35 check took him about 5 minutes. I wonder if I should pay someone to come back and clean or take it apart so I can clean it. The repair guy said a good bleach cleaning would do the trick. He didn't listen when I told him I had just done that and left it overnight.
Do I have a right to expect Sears to send someone back to open the washer and charging me a reasonable fee to open and close the case, without charging me another $55 trip charge?

This reads like the service call was on the dryer and the serviceman did a casual look at the washer. If so, his repair order probably covers the dryer only. If he combined the inspection in writing you are in luck, otherwise his manager is going to point out one call, one machine.
Bill
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:43:11 -0400, "Berkshire Bill"

You paid 35 dollars addditional just to check the washer?
In addition to the trip charge of 55?
And how much for the dryer? Or was that fixed within a period of time included in the 55?

This appears to me as th efirst post in a thread, so I don't know what the washer problem is. I might have no opinion on this question anyhow.

If you paid an additional 35 dollars for 5 or 10 minutes work where he didn't listen to you, didn't find the problem, recommended you do something you had already done, I would say they should send someone out at no charge at all, no travel and no additional charge, to do 35 dollars worth of work, since they have already charged you 35 dollars.
If they don't want to do that, I would expect my 35 dollars to be refunded. You could apply that to another repairman, although I wish I knew what the problem was.

But not if he changed an additional 35 dollars (although I'm not sure if that is what happened). He's not obliged to pay travel time also for each machine, since he was already there.
If they want a different arrangement, they have to tell him in advance.

The answer is no, and I'll tell you why. A technician's job is to repair machines that are broken, not to do cleaning, especially with a periodic checkover, the scope of which never includes cleaning. If the outer tub was so dirty, the technician should have given you an estimate to replace it. So, if you feel that you didn't receive value for the amount you paid, you should just ask for your money back. Is the debris impacting the performance of your machine? Most washers have some sort of buildup somewhere that doesn't impact performance. If your answer is no, then why be concerned?
Maybe your biggest problem is that you listened too much to the person who set up that service order for you, and really should have asked the opinion of the tech himself when he was there working on his dryer. If you said "do you think that this is money well spent and that it offers good value?" he would have answered "no, save your money, it achieves very little and your washer will work no better." But since you didn't ask the question, he didn't volunteer the answer. That isn't his job either.

I wonder if the outer drum or whatever it is can be cleaned at all. I guess it could be sprayed out. I'm getting some pretty bad odors from cat urine. I was thinking about buying another washer and putting this one out the garage for pee rags. I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars but the rags seem to stink up the washer even if I rinse them really good in the sink first. The rags cost about 25 cents.
AKA gray asphalt wrote:

Hmmm, You must have old or bad xat. I have three cats but they don't pee on the rag. Removing top of washer is not such a big job if know how.

If I knew how ... I could fix the middle east problems.

Have you thought about having the local laundromat do the rags for you or do it yourself there as long as the attendant knows what you are doing ?
Bill

Yes, but I can't do that to other people. too gross.