Washing hardwood floors

I have a carpet cleaner, with floor attachment on it. I always assumed that you use that option for cleaning linoleum or tile or something like that. Is it desireable to clean your hardwood floors this way or is a mop and bucket still the best option?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Hardwood floors finished with polyurethane need only be dust mopped or wiped with a damp rag if gotten dirty. A large volume of water as in a mop is not a good idea. Polishing is not necessary for a polyurethane finish.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Ehh, my hardwood floors have been covered by shag carpeting since 1959 - so they don't have any finish on them unless you count that flaking varnish.

My issue is that the floors are very dirty, and simple sweeping won't improve their look. That's one of the reasons why I was considering using a carpet cleaner.

While resurfacing the wood is probably the ultimate cure, it's hardly a task to take on a whim.

Reply to
Eigenvector

So mop away. And watch them warp.

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
bamboo

Oh man what a pain in the ass. Guess I know why people prefer carpeting over hardwood.

Would renting a floor buffer speed things up or just tear my flooring all to shreds?

Reply to
Eigenvector

I prefer to use a dust mop. When I have to clean it well I use an oil soap and try to minimize the time the floor is wet.

Reply to
Phisherman