Washers - Front Load vs. Top Load

What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I don't know why they cost more, although the fact that the drum reverses often could be part of the reason. I wouldn't part with mine, though. Uses very little water, very little detergent, and I can pack more laundry in, so I don't need to do it as often. Downside: Can't be opened once started, in case you forgot to throw in that one last shirt. And, if it's in a poorly lit area, like my basement, it's kind of hard to see into. Mine says "Frigidaire Gallery" on the front. Washer & dryer combo were under $1100 if I recall. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, either.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Front loaders use much less water, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the load you're washing. Sometimes with very heavily soiled items it's better to have more water than less.

Also, generally, front loading machines can handle larger loads.

As to why the price difference, I'm sure some of it is due to higher design and manufacturing costs for front loading machines (e.g. better quality seals are required on the door and wash basket, for obvious reasons), but beyond that I'm not sure why they cost so much more than top loaders.

Reply to
Rick

It appears it is more difficult to make one that does not leak or have other problems. Therefore it is more expensive. I expect (and have seen some evidence of) a slow reduction in cost and in time a phase out of top loaders.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you are looking for "better", check out a Fisher & Paykel machine. They are top loaders, but have all the advantages of a front loader. They also have a direct drive, which means no transmission to break. The final spin-dry cycle spins at something like 1000 rpm, leaving the clothes almost dry when they come out, which means you run the dryer a lot less, saving further energy.

This isn't some new company, either. These machines have been around for many years in Europe and Asia. The price is comparable to a good conventional top loader.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

Reply to
Phisherman

"Ian" wrote in news:PMfne.12569$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Top loaders wear your clothes out faster due to the agitator. I don't know about the prices, though.

Reply to
Marina

i remember allmost everyone around here had a frontloader when we were on cysterns,cause they used little water, then when city water came thru, everyone eventually went to top loaders because they were cheeper and water supply wasnt an issue..this was back in the early 60's ,so front loaders have been more expensive for quite some time around here. lucas

Reply to
ds549

Apart from more valuable considerations that others have mentioned, you can store stuff on top of them.

Are they high enough so that you don't have to bend over to unload it?

Curly Sue

I remember that. We had an old Bendix, probably late '50s or so. Nothing like the machines of today. It vibrated, the gasket leaked, but it was entertaining for a 3 or 4 year old.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I cant say I'm entirely pleased with mine. I have the Sears units and they washer vibrates quite a bit on the plywood floor of my apt

I would say that more care is needed as to what kind of surface they washer sets on so it doesn't vibrate so badly

Question.... you have yours in a basement right? Does it vibrate any?

Reply to
me

I barely hear the thing running except when it draws water. When standing near the machine, I notice no vibration at all.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

When Maytag first introduced their front loader at about $1200, everyone in the industry said "they'll never sell at that price". Well, Maytag sold so many that they couldn't keep up for a while. The other manufacturers realized there was a market for high dollar machines and quickly entered the foray. I suspect that the price is high because they can get it....and by getting it, they make some money for a change. Most people don't realize that the average retailer (because of competition holding down prices) only nets about 2 cents on the dollar on most appliance sales. That's why the big push for add ons like extended warranties. I had a sales manager tell me one time that if I couldn't sell the warranty, let the customer walk as it wasn't worth it to sell the appliance without it. I've noticed that the foreign companies like LG are coming in with mostly just the fancy high dollar stuff where there is some margin to work with. If you want a really cheap appliance with little profit for the retailer, you'll still find that with an American manufacturers name on it.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

I have a frontloader. When we first got it, it was spooky how quiet it was.

The real saving comes from how dry they spin the clothes -- they come out damp instead of wet, and you can set the clothes dryer on a low-heat cycle and they will still dry quickly. The next biggest energy savings is the hot water you save (obviously not an issue if you wash everything in cold.)

The power company here offers a $100 rebate for EnergyStar washing machines. That really helped make the initial cost competitive with a toploader.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

what type of floor is it on?

Reply to
me

I replaced my 29 yr. old Kenmore washer a year ago, with another Kenmore top loader; after reading all the spec's at the Sears web site and other places, on both types.

I think everyone has pointed out the differences to consider. As for me I couldn't see a big advantage to a front loader, especially for the price difference. I bought a larger unit to wash fewer loads. The energy guide said it would cost $32 a year to operate [with 8 loads a week]. As for the water consumption, I didn't think that would make much difference in my household. And it is so quiet. :)

And besides that, I like the look of the boxes vs the laundromat look. My w/d are black. ;) Purely personal factors all, only you can decide. bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Cement. When I mentioned vibration, I was referring to what the machine itself feels like. My old machine was so badly balanced that it walked across the floor during the wash cycle occasionally, and it had nothing to do with how the thing was loaded with clothes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The price.

I'm old enough to remember when all residential washers were front load. I think they went to top load because it was less expensive to manufacture, due to no need to seal the door against leakage. Also, the older front-loaders were lower capacity.

The lack of an agitator is gentler on the clothes, and the front loaders use less water. However the first of the new generation of front-loaders, the Maytag's, brought he Maytag repairman out of retirement!

What most people don't know, is that you can buy a commercial front loader for not much more than the overpriced residential front loaders. When I bought my last washing machine, I bought a commercial Speed Queen top loader, and it was $600, and the smallest commercial front loader was $1100. The advantage of a commercial machine in a residential environment is that it is unlikely to ever require service.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

What if you run out of quarters???

"Is this an audience or an oil painting?" - Henny Youngman

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I've got a GE commercial gas dryer I bought used 25 years ago. I hane no idea how old it actually is. So far, I've had to replace the drum slides, the drive belt, and the ignitor & ignitor clip. I'll keep it.

David Starr