Washer won't spin

I have a Whirlpool LSQ8220HQ0 top load washer that is about 6 years old. Been working fine and then last night it was in process of washing, and when the spin cycle came on, it was making a grinding noise and no spin. The pump was working, cause it was pumping the water out. I know this washer does not use belts, so I am thinking it may be the gearcase...though I think there is some sort of clutch used also.
Any suggestions on what it might be or what to look for? Can't make it spin no matter what, loaded or unloaded.
i think its broke
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It seems someone must be out of school and mom is out of the house so they are playing with the computer. Please ignore the silly responses.
Have you opened it up? Is a belt involved? Is there any physical damage visible? If you try to turn it manually does that help answer your question?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:22:45 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
A 6 year old Whirlpool/Kenmore is direct drive, no belt.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:22:45 -0400, Joseph Meehan wrote:

Just pointing out the OP's words "I know this washer does not use belts"
Sounds like the OP's washer has a problem with the transmission or a peripheral that does the shifting.

These Kenmore/Whirlpools use a plastic motor coupler and that is what usually breaks. It takes about 5 minutes to put one in ... the second time.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:47:32 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

I have OLD Kenmore Heavy Duty units going on 30 years old. I've replaced a locked up water pump and belts in the washer. I bought them used for a hundred bucks for the pair back in 1990 :)

That is the old "wig wag" machine. They are pretty much bullet proof too. As soon as you figure out which bolt to remove to sneak the belt in they are not that hard to work on either. I think it was about 25 years ago that they went to the direct drive. Mine is from 82-83 and it has needed is a motor coupler and 2 sets of agitator dogs. We run the hell out of it
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 06:09:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Probably the drive coupler. There are 4 little plastic rods that shear off. It is a fairly easy fix and the parts are not that expensive. Sears sells them at the Sears parts place, (or on the net) probably cheaper than you can get them at an appliance parts counter. (Kenmore is Whirlpool)