Washer Will Not Start -- No Fuse Involved

We have a Whirlpool Model LA5880XKW0 -- it has been unused for some time and will not start .. everything looks good and Whirlpool says that there is no fuse in it (nor could I find a fuse in the electrical diagram on the back). I suspect it is the switch, but would like to know how I can be positive that this is the problem before removing and replacing it since parts are non-returnable. The odd part is that there is nothing, no sound, no chatter, it just sits there.
Would appreciate any help that any of you can offer.
Thanks.
Roger snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
-
We have a Whirlpool Model LA5880XKW0 -- it has been unused for some time and will not start .. everything looks good and Whirlpool says that there is no fuse in it (nor could I find a fuse in the electrical diagram on the back). I suspect it is the switch, but would like to know how I can be positive that this is the problem before removing and replacing it since parts are non-returnable. The odd part is that there is nothing, no sound, no chatter, it just sits there.
Would appreciate any help that any of you can offer.
Thanks.
Roger
the most common two electrical items that fail in this model are motor start capacitor p/n 661606 or else lid switch p/n 279347 - though not sure if either one would cause it to be completely dead
most any switch can be tested with an ohm meter, so you would know if it is truly bad before ordering a new non-returnable part
you can buy an ohm meter at harbor freight for $3 !!
I would strongly advise you pick up this item on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemu12378317
this manual is actually for the direct drive model, and yours is belt drive, but the general info within is a must read!
You checked the outlet and there is power there.... right?
Tie around the switch your speaking of and see if that completes the circuit. If so problem dissolved... (intentional)
Roger Helbig wrote:

will not start .. everything looks good and Whirlpool says that there is no fuse in it (nor could I find a fuse in the electrical diagram on the back). I suspect it is the switch, but would like to know how I can be positive that this is the problem before removing and replacing it since parts are non-returnable. The odd part is that there is nothing, no sound, no chatter, it just sits there.

Hi,
In every cycle?...fills, drains, spins, etc?
House fuse, power cord, main on-off contact in the timer could do that.....if only certains things have stopped ( EG: motor is dead but the fills work ) the possible trouble makers could be different.
Something that may help... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N41 Describes step-by-step repairs for the most common belt-driven washing machine problems.

There isn't one.

see! Jeff is way smarter than me, I didn't even know there was a whirlpool book still being printed on the old belt drive models! I guess that is why he is the appliance guru!
cheers!
cowboy
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:04:45 -0700, "Roger Helbig"
will not start .. everything looks good and Whirlpool says that there is no fuse in it (nor could I find a fuse in the electrical diagram on the back). I suspect it is the switch, but would like to know how I can be positive that this is the problem before removing and replacing it since parts are non-returnable. The odd part is that there is nothing, no sound, no chatter, it just sits there.

The appliance guru is a wise one. He is very helpful.
This might be simple. It might be a lid switch that isn't making contact.