Washer - Whirlpool vs Kenmore

Page 1 of 2
I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a washer that does its job; won't crash tomorrow. I don't need extra capcity.
I looked at a Whirlpool at Sears that I liked, but it's not on special any more. Salesperson said Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and is on special.
Questions:
1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?
2. Is there a difference in quality between W. and K.?
3. Sorry I don't have a model number, but the Whirlpool I was looking at is about $395.
After spending ages on-line trying to get comparative info, I'm more confused than ever.
Any voice-of-experience/repair professional advice out there?
Tx
Aspasia
That is who makes Sears applicances.

The same, unless some special version in some model is made just for the Sears account. Unlikely.

Seems reasonable.

We have a Kenmore front-load washer. More $$$, but my wife loves it. We had a Maytag last time around for 20+ years, but the word on the street is that the quality has dropped. I think Whirlpool now owns Maytag, for their upper-end stuff. Not sure about that.

My service on Kenmore appliances has been fine. No complaints. Your milage will vary...

I did the routing stuff -- belts, pumps, hoses on the Maytag. I think servicing the side-load Kenmore may be a bit much myself.
Whirlpool does now own Maytag and all it lines.
A tip on the front load Whirlpool and Kenmore (HE type). If you remove the lower front panel there is a screw out/clean out strainer just before the pump. I found it the hard way after the kids left something in their pockets and clogged it up. This strainer isn't listed in the book anywhere I could find.
professorpaul wrote:

There is no difference in quality between a company's products marketed under its own brands and those that are brand-engineered for other retailers. Sometimes there are minor differences, such as the functionality of a feature, or the availability of a particular feature. For example, Whirlpool might have two switches with two options each that give you four options total (2X2), while Kenmore might bundle the same functionality into one switch giving you four options total.
One important note, though, is that part prices can differ between pure-branded and brand-engineered products. Let me give you an example. If your Frigidaire front load washer that appears as Kenmore at Sears, and GE at Home Depot needs repairs, you will pay a higher price for the part if it has a GE part number as compared to it having a Frigidaire part number. It is the same part, but the part number that appears on the box depends on the channel of distribution that it takes on the way to you. Most people don't know this, and are unable to do the math before making a purchase, but I would personally stay away from products made by other companies that are brand-engineered to the GE nameplate.
When it comes down to it, nobody will ever know how clean your clothes really are, just by looking at your or your machine, and you probably won't be able to tell either. Most people buy way too many bells and whistles, when all you probably need is perhaps 2 speeds and 2 water temp options. Otherwise, most machines do pretty much the same thing.
On 30 Sep 2006 06:37:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Very interesting!
**********OK, now does this apply to a Whirlpool "brand-engineered" to the Kenmore nameplate? That's what is preoccupying me now.*********
My Maytag ran 11 years w/o coughing, and only called attention to itself when the lid switch assembly went out. The repairs will cost $187.00, so I'm figuring I'd better get a new one for -+ $350-400.

That is not my concern .Durability and freedom from hassles IS my concerrn. I have light loads, so don't need a workhorse; just RELIABILITY.
Most people buy way too many bells and

Hah! I was told this years ago by a staff person at the Dept of Water and Power which had an open house to view machines. Person said exactly the same thing -- 2 speeds and 2 [or 3] water options. All the rest is vanity and cuteness.
I know you're just giving an example, but Frigidare and GE are different manufactures and (as far as I know) never used as different monikers on the same machine. See my other post in this thread for some actual "same machine/different name" twins...
-Tim
Tim Fischer wrote:

GE buys a lot of rebranded models from Frigidaire. The basic GE front load washer at Home Depot, not the newer one with the black control panel, is a Frigidaire product rebranded as GE. GE also buys certain laundry systems from Frigidaire and rebrands them with their own name. IIRC, there was a time in Maytag's history, pre-Whirlpool, when they were on strike and their Maytag branded laundry equipment was actually from GE.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I found that even GE-made appliances have expensive parts. The range burner temperature control for our GE electric oven was $75 from GE and hard to find for less than $50, while a Whirlpool equivalent was about $40 list and could be bought for $27. .
On 1 Oct 2006 18:56:55 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

As I wrote in companion thread "extended warranties - worth it?" Sears price for lid switch assembly for old Maytag washer was $44. Same part available on-line through part supplier for $27.
Aspasia
<aspasia> wrote in message > On 1 Oct 2006 18:56:55 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"> As I wrote in companion thread "extended warranties - worth it?"

I always thought Sears parts were overpriced, but I checked around for some parts for our circa-ten-year-old Frigidare dishwasher last month, and Sears was pretty much the same as most other places I called, actually a little cheaper than one or two of them.
One of the other places had the items in stock, though, and Sears needed to order, so I didn't buy from them.
-Tim

Well, at least they were honest enough to tell you they had to order it. In my experience, Sears will tell you they have the part "in stock" regardless of whether they do or not -- because, to them, "in stock" means "the computer says we can get it". It most definitely does *not* mean that they actually have the part.
--
Regards,
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:29:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Was this a Sears store or a Sears parts location? Our parts place seems to stock most commonly used Kenmore/Whirlpool parts. They do a lot better than the independant "appliance parts" guy.
<aspasia> wrote in message > 1. If it's made by Whirlpool, why sell it under Sears Kenmore name?
I don't claim to understand maketing, but each appliance vendor has lots of different names. Maytag also does JenAir and Magic Chef. GE does Hotpoint and Monogram. Whirlpool does KitchenAid. Electrolux does Fridgidaire, Kelvinator, and White Westinghouse.
At one point in their life, Sears only sold stuff branded as Sears. In the last few decades, they now sell most brands, but some of their brands remain, including Kenmore appliances, which have gained a reputation for being a good value and reliable. (sort of like their Craftsman hand tools).

Maybe, but like I said above, Kenmore is considered to be very reliable (as is Whirlpool, who makes most their stuff).

I'm generally not a Sears fan, but do like Kenmore. I've owned quite a few different ones and they've given me no trouble.
-Tim
aspasia wrote:

or sell units in order to hit a wider maket. If you had bought a Whirlpool previously and not liked it, you may not realise and buy the same thing under a different brand. Its a bit like buying a VW car and a Skoda.

Sometimes the alternative company saves on the casing. This doesn't always mean it is worse, but facias & switches can make a difference to the production costs.

accurate as we would like, so best off not to rely on it. I know dealers who state 'its exactly the same model, but different codes'. This can end up a totally different spec as they do produce some models slightly different to comply with being exclusive for a large wholesaler.

extended warranty by quoting a net price and getting from a proper dealer. Sounds mad from me as I sell on line, but truth is if you buy from a shop you are more likely to get better after service.
Oh yeah, Whirpool domestic kit has got a lot better over the years and there are only about 6 pump types for about 90% of all brand types. A lot of internals are not even made by the brand name and are made in factories in Italy.
Best of luck
Stu http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk
Compare prices at Lowes. If considering an extended warratny Lowes is much cheaper on the service agreements.
<aspasia> wrote in message >I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 03:09:51 GMT, "Art"

Thanks. There's no Lowe's near me, but it might be worth checking out.
However, Sears offers free delivery and installation. Does Lowe's?
****What does the group think of extended warranties? Worth it?***
Aspasia

Yes last time I bought an appliance there. Delivery guy also dropped door of refrigeratior on hardwood floor. Lowes paid for repair no quibbles about it.
<aspasia> wrote in message >>>I have to get a new washer. Don't want fancy bells & whistles, just a

my serviceman told me whirlpool makes sears top loaders. differences include rubber mounts on the kenmore to run more quiet, and the knobs on the control panel. lucas
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:12:28 -0700, aspasia wrote:

Kenmore/Whirlpools are bullet proof and you can get parts at any Sears parts store. Usually all you will need in a lifetime are agitator dogs and a coupler. Both are cheap and easy to replace.
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:12:28 -0700, aspasia wrote:

There are so many companies that bought others it is hard to tell anymore. I suggest looking at Consumer Reports. Get the largest capacity, I think it's "Super Capacity." The fewer gadgets, the better. I like "scratch and dent" and keep the $100. My Whirlpool is over 16 years old and still kicking, but I'm not sure if Whirlpool has the same quality today in washers. Kenmore is a good brand. I found that generally Sears won't haggle over price, but a Mom-and-Pop usually will.