Washer repair?

Just had a leak from a 12 year old Kenmore washer, made a squeaking noise on it's last run, then had a floor full of water. Is it worth repairing?
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:53:51 +0000, chastain wrote:

Clothes or dishwasher? either one I'ld buy a new one. If you have a friend with a truck you could buy one tomorrow and have it installed before a repairman can see it.
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:53:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote:

How many kids, and did they use cloth diapers? How many people in the household? Average loads per week? Is it the cheapest Kenmore or their best model? Was it really a squeak, or was it a screech?
rusty redcloud

Why do you need a truck? My local dealer, with prices as good as the big stores, delivered our new washer in about three hours from the time we bought it. They took away the old one, unpacked and hooked up the new one. Surely not worth the hassle of doing this all myself to save 20 bucks or so.
Twenty years ago, the same local dealers were considerably higher in price than the discount stores. The little dealers got smart and formed buying co-ops and now are very competitive on price and way ahead on service. It will pay you to check them out.
I agree that at 12 years, it may not be worth fixing. Repairs can easily be $70 to $200 and another major component can die next week. Do some searching for the problem at www.repairclinic.com New machine $300 to $600.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Hi,

Kenmore is made by several different companies, model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

water. Is it worth repairing?
Really depends on what is wrong and what is needed to correct it. Water pumps are fairly common for leaks and noises!
The only big box store I consider for appliances is Sears. At least before they were purchased by Kmart, if a new appliance gave you trouble, they would exchange it without a fight. Small dealers don't like doing that in my experience.

Probably more of a screeching noise. Three in the house use the washer for laundry duty about 5 loads a week. No small children, but my teen goes through a lot of clothes. It was a mid line Kenmore when new.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:05:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote:

This is just a guess, but it sounds very much like an item (sock?) escaped from the tub and got into the pump. That could cause the pump to suddenly stop turning, and the drive belt would screech in protest. If all you need is a new water pump, it "might" be worth fixing as a do-it-yourself. If you are going to have to pay someone else, it won't be worth it. The problem being, that all the other parts in the machine are also pretty old, and 2 weeks after you replace the relatively inexpensive pump, the timer, transmission, or other vastly more expensive parts could expire without warning. 12 years is a pretty good run. That machine really doesn't owe you anything at this point.
rusty