Washer Recommendation?

Page 1 of 2
I need to purchase a new washer. Anyone recommend a particular brand or model? Thank you for your reply.
>> Anyone recommend a particular brand or model? <<
Have had a Maytag "Performa" (washer and dryer) for about 18 months now and have no regrets. Has huge tub. RM~
way too many variables to be able to provide any kind of answer! Cost ranges from 300 bucks on up front top loading features where you live etc.. One thing I have heard is that if you live in an area where your power tends to be spiky avoid the electronic control washers!
I would suggest a site like www.epinions.com
Wayne

snipped-for-privacy@ils.unc.edu (Susan Thomas) writes:

Get one of the modern front loaders. You will save the cost of the washer in clothes alone, plus saving on your water and electricity bill. I didn't realize how much wear a top loader was putting on my clothes until I replaced it. I wasn't wearing out my clothes, the washer was.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Maytag is still one of the best, may last one was 22 years old. Amana is now owned by them and is a good brand also.
Maytag USED to be good... they suck now... i know someone who bought one and they returned it... very loud...

With recommendations from this very group, I bought an Admiral made by Maytag earlier this year, at Home Depot. Works wonderfully! I know the highest recommendation was for Maytag Neptune but at 1200 dollars, I could buy almost 3 of the washers I now own. The one I bought is perfect and fit my budget. Yesterday my Whirlpool gas dryer died - it was older than 25 years (!) said the fix-it man. So we went off to Home Depot and bought a gas dryer- Admiral made by Maytag.
aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Actually my parents just bought a Consumer Reports Best Buy dryer from Sears Kenmore and it is quite good except for the obnoxious buzzer when done. I think its better than my expensive Maytag Neptune dryer which is about 7 years old.

Susan Thomas wrote:

you have to look at it to make sure it is running. It costs more than top loaders, but since washers can last 15 - 20 years, the cost difference is justifiable.
It runs quietly when it agitates but the pump is noisy as hell and the fast spin can cause the sheet metal case to vibrate and make a racket even with a sheet of plywood sitting underneath it.

Sorry to hear that report of your experience. How long has your HE3 been in service? Maybe you are due some warranty adjustments. Ours is only a few months old, and it makes essentially no noise no matter where along in the cycle. Ours sits on a concrete floor and is leveled in all directions with the adjustable feet securely locked with their adjusting nuts. Maybe we just haven't run into a highly unbalancable load so far. We see no vibration problems so far and the pump is quiet.
Art Begun wrote:

I might get mine checked out. It is level with the legs locked and an extra layer of 3/4 plywood underneath but I'm sure that is still not as good as concrete flooring. Mine is 2 months old.

I have owned Whirlpool, Kenmore and Maytag. My dad was a Sears appliance repairman (circa 1958-1964) and found out that Kenmore was either made by Whirlpool or Maytag, depending on the year/model. My last purchases were Maytag washer and dryer, probably over 6 years ago. They have been the best Washer Dryer I've ever owned! I think all are owned by the same company now, so no way to know which is best by name brand.
My dad brought home a combination washer-dryer front-loader back in the days he worked for Sears. It was very efficient but leaked through the door seal no mater what he did. He tossed it after a few months. I'm not sold on the idea because of that experience.
It's not easy to make a "right" decision based on magazine ratings because they're based on users opinions. If you can talk to a repairman, you'll be better off.
My last purchase of a dishwasher was from Sears, whose salesperson surprised me by answering my questions honestly and forthright. She steered me to an excellent quality, fair priced model not on display, sitting in the warehouse. I expect automatic dishwashers to only last 5-6 years because of the caustic abuse to any metal from the wash water. After that they begin rusting and leaking, usually unnoticed until the flooring is completely saturated. I'd rather not have that happen, so 5-6 yrs is my limit. - Bill

You have low expectations. My KitchenAid is 15 years with one minor repair about 5 years ago. No signs of corrosion. Ed
17 yrs on my Kenmore dishwasher, no repairs
10 years on my Kenmore clothes washer, $20 for new water valve last month. The Kenmore washer was the second cheapest Sears sold. Nothing but the best for my clan.

Hi, To me, the more bells and whsitles, the more trouble. I always buy just little more than bare basic model and they served us well. Currently all appliances are Whirlpool which are 10 years old. Nothing happened yet. No trouble so far. Tony
Frank wrote:

i have always LOVED my kenmore appliances. we HAD to buy GE PROFILE for the kitchen when we moved here (10yrs ago) and there have been repairs, and replacements! NEVER a problem with my kenmore stuff!
--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

Love cures. It cures those who give it and it cures those who receive
Some Kenmore stuff is made by GE.
wrote in message

wrote in message

That depends on the appliance's model number. You can read about whom makes what Kenmore appliance model at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+appliances
=~~~~~~