Washer overflow

Hi,
While I was out (naturally) my wife was doing the wash and the washer overflowed. She had a problem finding out how to stop it but finally did. We still have wet carpet but the shop vac got up most of it. First I know little about washers. I'll guess the timer is bad. If I'm correct, is the timer accessible from the front of the machine it is a 6 year old Sears (can find model numbers if needed) Secondly, I would have thought there would be some kind of safety switch to avoid such an overflow. Should there be one? My wife said she finally got it to stop by turning the dial. The cutoff valves were nearly inoperable (tight) so I will loosen the packing nut where they can be used to stop the water flow in the future. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Ken
On 12/21/2004 8:51 AM US(ET), Ken took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Rather than a timer, I would suspect the internal fill valve that shuts off the water when the tub gets to the proper water level (per wash load setting).
--
Bill

Thanks Bill. Would you advise a novice to attempt the repair?
Ken

Ken wrote:

Shouldn't be too hard. The difficult part, I bet, is getting access. Check the diagrams on the web to find the location of the sucker.
On 12/21/2004 10:42 AM US(ET), Ken took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I had the valve repaired, the Sears guy took about 15 minutes to repair it, but he knew where it was and how to get to it.

--
Bill

Can you direct me to where I might purchase this book? I have all the manuals that accompanied the washer and will see what they can do in helping me. Been running all day today. (other than the time I spent sucking up additional water. Pad sure holds a lot ; " ) Tomorrow will allow more time to deal with the washer. Thanks to all who replied. It is greatly appreciated
Ken

Some questions:
What cycle was the washer in during the overflow? If it was the fill cycle, then the water was over flowing from the top of the washer.
Of course since turning the dial stopped the problem that kind of suggests that the fill valve is ruled out.
If it was the drain cycle it could be that the drain hose fell from the pipe, or the drain line was plugged. It could also be a bad connection inside like from the pump to the drain hose.
To open the cabinet there are a couple of screws holding the control panel to the cabinet. The control panel hind of hinges back and there are a couple of clips fastening the cabinet to the back / frame. You might also have to unplug the control panel.
The top, front and sides come off by pulling it toward you and then sliding the lower front sideways a bit and the cabinet comes off.
--

Roger Shoaf

Ken wrote:

Hi,
Some overflowing helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_overfilling.html

Bad timer, not likely.

Some model# helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some take apart helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/washers.html

Nope, none. Since the washer can fail electrically and/or mechanically it would be difficult to stop such occurances from happening. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

Ken wrote:

Hi,
Some overflowing helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_overfilling.html

Bad timer, not likely.

Some model# helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some take apart helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/washers.html

Nope, none. Since the washer can fail electrically and/or mechanically it would be difficult to stop such occurances from happening. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Thanks to all who replied. Stopped at a local appliance repair shop today. Best ballpark was high enough that I will be purchasing a new washer tomorrow from HHGregg. Great prices on Whirlpools until Friday night. Again, thanks, Ken