Washer leaking.

I want to find out where the leak is in a Whirlpool 110.26912691 washing machine. It's about seven years old and is used in a seven unit apartment building so it gets a lot of use. Sometimes when a wash is done, there is no water leaking and sometimes there is a large amount of water on the floor (at least a gallon) after the wash is done. I removed the cabinet and ran a load but I did not see any water leaks. Also, when the cabinet is removed, the safety switch to the top cover is disabled and the machine won't go into drain or spin mode so I had to replace the cabinet during those modes. What is the best way to find out where the leak is coming from? Should I bypass the lid switch so I can observe the mechanics from start to finish?
Thanks for your reply.
David Farber L.A., CA
David Farber wrote:

probably the water pump seal is leaking, they cant be repaired, probably need a new water pump... cost about $25-$50 depending where you get it..
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (David Farber) wrote in message

Hello,
Some helps....we hope ;)
http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html Bypassing a direct drive washer lid switch to test washer the washer with the cabinet off....( for testing purposes only! )
A common leaking trouble maker is the drain pump assy....
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N296 Drain pump for belt-less direct-drive washer, one large port, one small port.
not sure this helps, but our Maytag would leak occasionally and it was a small 'valve' in the incoming water line (beneath lid).
was easy to fix. part was about $20. common in our model Maytag.
I want to find out where the leak is in a Whirlpool 110.26912691 washing machine. It's about seven years old and is used in a seven unit apartment building so it gets a lot of use. Sometimes when a wash is done, there is no water leaking and sometimes there is a large amount of water on the floor (at least a gallon) after the wash is done. I removed the cabinet and ran a load but I did not see any water leaks. Also, when the cabinet is removed, the safety switch to the top cover is disabled and the machine won't go into drain or spin mode so I had to replace the cabinet during those modes. What is the best way to find out where the leak is coming from? Should I bypass the lid switch so I can observe the mechanics from start to finish?
Thanks for your reply.
David Farber L.A., CA
I bypassed the switch, removed the cover, and ran a load of clothes. I still couldn't see one drop of water leaking anywhere. I am beginning to think that the leak might be coming from somewhere else. There is a water heater on one side of the washer and a second Maytag washing machine on the other side. Due to the slope of the floor, the water just seems to accumulate under the Whirlpool washer. After my investigation, I unplugged the Whirlpool washer to see whether or not the floor will get soaked again.
Thanks for your replies.
David Farber L.A., CA

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (David Farber) wrote in message

Hi,
Floor drain, burping out of the drain stand pipe, that water heater.
Good luck with the investigation!

After shutting off the water to both washing machines and waiting a day, there was still water leaking. I called a plumber to take a look and the water heater was leaking. It's a 100 gallon, 199,900 btu/hr American Standard. The cheapest estimate for removing, replacing, and installing was $3,900. The water heater is located on the second floor laundry room of a 7 unit condominium. Does that estimate sound about right?
Thanks for your replies, David Farber L.A., CA David Farber David Farber's Service Center L.A., CA
Bypass the lid interlock and remove the front cover with a putty knife from the3 front. My washer occasionally starts up spinning instead of agitat6ing and the water ramps up against the side and overflows. Comes out an overflow pipe running from the tank top to an opening below the tub. Only does it occasionally and on startup only. The basket is left in spin mode at the ending of the previous cycle. The work-around is to hand try the basket at the start of loading. It should be braked.

no
load
the
lid