Washer Knob Repair

My clothes washer's knob broke and I need to fix it. It's a plastic knob about 2.5" in diameter with a threaded protrusion at the center. It threads onto the washer's timer shaft. The threaded protrusion broke away from the rest of the knob. It's a clean break and the two pieces mate back together very well. I tried "epoxy for plastic". This stuff did a terrible job. The knob broke at the repair very quickly. Can anyone tell me a better adhesive or another way to fix this knob. I want something that "welds" plastic. Thanks.
BRW
snipped-for-privacy@bennetwilliams.com wrote:

Just go to the manufacturers web site and order a replacement knob for about $5 + $5 shipping, or visit a local appliance parts store. The epoxy and time fussing with it cost far more than a new knob.
Pete C.
snipped-for-privacy@bennetwilliams.com wrote:

It would be difficult to repair the broken knob, because there isn't much contact between pieces.
It would be much easier to wields the pieces to the metal "axle?" on the washer, as there are more contacts there. HomeDepot sells a metal-to-plastic epoxy glue that hardens in a few hours. I used it glue the lamp switch to the metal axle, and works great.
On 12 Oct 2006 07:19:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bennetwilliams.com wrote:

kenmore/whirlpool. It was a 1/4-20 thread and that is very common.
snipped-for-privacy@bennetwilliams.com wrote:

Don't waste your time. Go to repairclinic.com and order a new one. HTH
Joe
That knob has been redesigned with a metal hub, to avoid breakage like yours. It costs around $20 I think.
You should be able to tie a strink around the broken parts to hold together. Then use a soldering iron to heat and melt the borken areas. The plastic should melt back together.
Another option is to simply buy a new knob.
Go online to www.apdepot.com and search for your brand and model number.
strink?
borken?
--