washer frozen

Sometimes. It can't be said as a blanket statement.

Red Green wrote:

Doesn't it involve evaporation that speeds cooling?
Give yourself an "A" for today's science class. http://www.pa.msu.edu/sci_theatre/ask_st/032592.html

Possible factors are too numerious. Science is still arguing about it. Just Google it and read till your fed up.

It's an urban myth that hot water will freeze faster than cold water. Supposedly if you take a cup of hot water and a cup of cold water and place them in a freezer, the hot water will freeze faster. But it's not true. The amount of water that is lost from evaporation doesn't make enough difference. The cold water freezes first.
In a plumbing system, either pipe could freeze first depending on when it was last run, differences in exposure, etc.

The description I read was most likely pointed to from here, or maybe was on a physics newsgroup, and was about inside a pipe, so evaporation was not a factor.
It was probably years ago when I had a different hard drive, so I won't be able to find it in my computer. It had something to do with something that changed when the water was heated, that made it easier for it to freeze later. I haven't foundd reference to that in the posts below, but I have barely read them.
Here are some webpages on the subject http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/422/which-freezes-faster-hot-water-or-cold-water Straight dope says no but then says yes under some conditions, and then relies on evaportation to explain those cases.
I have barely read these pages yet, but I googled on hot water freezes faster than cold if you wnat to look for more. I'll read them tonight but I wanted to post befroe this thread rolls off the top of the screen and falls behind the desk.

Actually, absolutely not true. You need to cool the water first before it can freeze. The "half truth" is based on the fact that water looses more heat , faster, when it is hot than when it is cold - but the hot water still takes longer to reach freezing than the cold water does. Simple Physics

You poor suckers that are not used to the cold, and are not prepared for it, with houses not built to handle it, are sure having a time of it. Up here it's been about -5F just about every night the last week.

If the water is flowing it has to be pretty darn cold to freeze. When water mains are being repaired and surface piping is used up here in the cold, a tap is left running to keep the water flowing and the pipes don't freeze unless it's down close to zero. If the water is turned off, the pipes freeze in a jiffy.

Ice in the pump can split the pump quite easily. Often as it thaws. Minimum density of water is at +4C - so that's where it takes up the most space. If both ends are plugged with ice and the middle thaws, it CAN split things that survived the freezing without damage.

Put heat in the garage.

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:17:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Urgh. At least it was still frozen when you found it. I had one a couple of years ago where the water left in the pump/drain had frozen overnight, expanded and pushed the drain pipe off. Then it had thawed by morning, so first load dumped water out all over the floor...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Wonder where you live?

Moundsville WV, just south of Wheeling, If you were talking to me, I did not quite understand. Thanks, Tony