washer/dryer pad size

I have an old home where the cement basement floor is far from smooth and level. In anticipation that we will someday need a new washer and dryer, and noting that some of them rotate at high speeds and need a solid base, I am thinking of having a plumber put in a new access to the sewer line (the pvc pipe the washer drains into; we now have just a basin), and a cement pad big enough for the new washer and dryer. Since the floor is thin, I anticipate the pad will be thicker and may extend above the floor, as those I have seen do. I don't know yet if there is sufficient clearance over the existing sewer to make the pad thicker, but even with the old floor. I think it may be traditional around here to elevate it, as our basements do sometimes have minor flooding.

I haven't selected the models yet, but the ones I have looked at seem to have different footprints. I want the pad to be big enough to accommodate whatever models we buy, but not so big that it is a tripping hazard.

So what would be a good size to make this?

Reply to
Not

Make it big enough to accommodate whatever models you buy, but no so big that it is a tripping hazard.

Why don't you look at the specifications for various machines?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Most full sized machines have the same standard footprint, washers 24" x 24" and dryers 24" x 30" plus some space behind for pipes, wires and dryer duct.

Reply to
EXT

do be aware servicing a machine on a pad is a PIA:( really!

at least make the pad as thin as possible, myself I would address the water flooding issues, they hurt home resale value a LOT

Reply to
hallerb

Actually washers are 27w x 25 1/2 d in most cases and the dryers 27 or 29 w x 32 d. But the new machines like the Duet series front loader are much deeper. The washer and dryer are each 27" w and you would want to allow for a depth of 35-36" to cover the machines and hose/vent tubes, etc. I would add a couple of inches to those measurements so the machines don't rub against each other plus a slight curb of some kind to keep them from walking off the pad if they get out of balance. To fit normal top load washer and dryers into a laundry closet the closet needed to be 55" wide at the door opening and at least 32" deep. My experience...sold these things for 25 years. Someone said that the machines are hard to work on when on a pad. I'm not sure why that would be on the newer machines as they are all designed to be worked on without having to be pulled from the wall. Although, I'm sure there are some cases where that might still be necessary.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

When the pad? When installing a washer on an irregular floor I carved two pieces of 2x4 until they made a solid base for the four corner feet. (At least it was solid for 17 years until we moved . . .)

Reply to
Don Phillipson