Washer/Dryer in dirt basement?

I have an older home with a dirt basement with a stone foundation. I was considering having ther washer dryer moved down there (currently they are in the kitchen) close to the stairs.
What I was thinking was to put some concrete blocks down and place the machines on top of them. Next I would take some wooden pallets and nail plywood to the tops to create a path to the bottom of the stairs.
We may eventually pour a floor down there, but we're not ready for the expense right now (kitchen is going to be remodeled $$) So I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what your thoughts were.
Thanks -Owen
Check water and sewer connections. Check dryer vent path. If that works out, I'd build a floor for travel and for the machines out of pallets. That should be easier to level and to place machines than the block. TB
| Check water and sewer connections. | Check dryer vent path. | If that works out, I'd build a floor for travel and for the machines | out of pallets. | That should be easier to level and to place machines than the block. | TB | Not only that, but the blocks, wood, etc. all wick water up into them. I'd also recommend a cheap plastic vapor barrier of some sort under the machines. Maybe one of those cheap blue tarps they sell at the HW stores; it'll help keep rust at bay.
Pop
Greetings,
Even if you don't want to pour the entire basement you could pour a 5x10' 4" thick pad for around $100 if you do it yourself.
Hope this helps, William

On 13 Dec 2004 12:48:07 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Sound like electrocution city to me. Put in a floor that doesn't conduct electricity.
PJ
It is done quite often. If the wiring is according to modern standards (proper grounds and GFCI outlets) there is minimal electrical hazard. Dampness can be a concern and termites can destroy your temporary floor. Don Young