Washer Drain Overflow

Page 2 of 2
Guv Bob:
Before you do anything else, have the main drain line from your house cleared.
Don't try to do this yourself with a hand held snake. This is an important job that will protect your house from potentially flooding after a heavy rain. Hire a plumber who'll clear the line with a snake or a jetter.
Then see if the washer drain overflows.
--
nestork

On Monday, September 22, 2014 7:42:20 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

Not that cleaning the main sewer line is a bad idea, but how exactly is that supposed to cause a house to flood during a heavy rain? If the municipal sewer system gets flooded out, then seems having a clear path would be just as bad as having a partially blocked path into the house. The only way I can see it happening where the partially blocked line makes a difference is if you have either rain water or sump pump water going into your sewer system. That isn't the typical case, it's not even allowed here.
In typed:

You wrote earlier,
"I was wrong about the draining.... the washer drains into a blind standpipe - no vent up above. Below is a p-trap, although I could not get the snake to get past it."
So, maybe if you go up on the roof, you wouldn't have direct access to where the clog is.
What size and type of snake are you using? I find that they have to be thin enough to make the necessary turns, but thick enough to be able to push them into and through clogs etc. I am guessing that 1/4-inch may be too flimsy, but I don't know what the next size up is and if that would work better or not.
Another option may be trying one of these rubber bladder devices that connect to a hose and expand inside the drain line to make a seal, and then use water pressure to try to blow out a clog: http://www.harborfreight.com/small-drain-cleaning-bladder-99943.html
Home Depot and Lowes etc. also have them.
I think it is probably just a clog in the 1 1/2 inch line since it used to drain okay, and that you don't need a larger drain line than the 1 1/2 that you already have.
Good luck. Hope you get it.
P.S. Do you have a curb vent or other similar vent outside that goes down to the main sewer line coming out from your house?
On 9/23/2014 4:01 PM, TomR wrote:

The more I read this thread the more I'm convinced of that. A good snaking and good to go, IMO.