washer connection

I am trying to connect a washer. The washer has hot water hose and cold water hose and a drain. The wall has a hot water faucet, cold water faucet, drain, and an additional copper pipe 1/2 with no faucet. What is that additional pipe for? What do I need to do with it?
"Philip5malin" wrote:

Not enough information. Is the pipe laying on the floor? Is it in the wall? Is it partly in the wall and partly out of the wall? Is it open? Is it closed?
Jon
Philip5malin wrote:

Perhaps for a future water softener?

If it's vertical and extends above the faucets, it may be a anti-hammer chamber.
On Wed, 13 May 2009 09:30:08 -0700 (PDT), Philip5malin

Like my setup? It's for a water softener, particularly if the pipe is over a drain line.
My softener's discharge drain.

If the additional pipe is connected to a supply pipe , it is an anti- hammer feature. YOu need to tell us what the additional pipe is connected to.