Washer bangs

My washer bangs if slightly out of balance on spinning. It never used to I noticed the tub, if I manually push it when it's stopped, will flex right, flex to the left and flex forward but bumps something and will not flex to the rear. Is something broken?

Reply to
LSMFT

I took it apart and discovered the problem. It's a design flaw. It comes apart easy. Two screws on the control panel, two screws on the bottom back panel and 2 clips on top. The top cover and three sides come off as one piece. The spring/slide mechanism seems to be just fine. The problem is that the tub is too close to the back panel and bangs against it. There should have been a bubble in the pack panel to allow the tub to swing back. It's a Whirlpool Model LSR7333PQ0 SN CR2406954 Type 111.

Next one won't be a Whirlpool.

Reply to
LSMFT

Hi, My Whirlpool direct drive model has been VERY good. No trouble at all for many years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The Q is, why is it banging now, and not before? Is it a top loader?

If so, the leveling feet may have become unlevel, and need to be adjusted, or shimmed. Which might also be true for a front loader.

If it's a top loader, mebbe this is a good excuse to get a front loader? :) They pay for themselves. Frigidaire seems to offer the best bang for the buck, according to CR.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Is your machine leveled? This sounds to me like an out of level problem. The tub sort of floats, so from your description your unit is leaning back a bit.

P.S. I think Whirlpool machines are just fine. Mine is about 15 year old and in that time I have replaced the lovejoy connector (failed due to overload) and the pump due to age. I replaced a few other minor parts but that was not due to failure of the design but rather my failure to level the machine when I installed it and the parts I lost taking the machine apart.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

ROTFL

Reply to
mm

It's a top loader and it IS level. I think I'll take it apart again and run it without any covers.

Reply to
LSMFT

My second ex wife used to sit up there with an unbalanced load, and we'd do the big nasty. We never moved a muscle, but were worn out by the time the spin cycle was done.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Mebbe, as one poster suggested, un-level it in the direction that minimizes banging/shaking. But poss. removing the offending cover would be the best solution, then allowing you to keep the machine at true level, which is likely best for the machine.

But the Q is, why did it start banging now, and not from the gitgo? Loose-er stabilizing springs, mebbe?

Reply to
Existential Angst