Wash walls from bottom up or top down??

When you take a shower, where do you start, top or bottom? ^_^

TDD"

Or wash a fire engine?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

No, he's right that that's what they say.

I've never understood it either. My solution has been to never wash my walls. Anyone complains, I have a good reason.

Reply to
Micky

I was told years ago, if you wash walls top down, the drips and dribbles go into dirt. The resulting some thing is far harder to clean, rather than having the dribbles go into clean wall. Not sure I believe it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wash from the bottom up, rinse from the top down.. A single step cleaning doesn't work very well, from either top or bottom.

Reply to
clare

So dirty dirt is harder to get off than less dirty dirt?

This brings up the issue of laundry. What is "ground in dirt". I can see that if your crawling along the ground, putting weight on the dirty parts of your pants. But short of that, why is it harder to get really dirty clothes clean. Isn't most of the dirt resting on the first layer of dirt, so once that comes off, it should take all the dirt on top of it with it.

Reply to
Micky

replying to aemeijers, Echo wrote: "Ever tried repainting a heavily-used kitchen in any house, or any wall in a house with smokers, without doing a scrub-down first?" Actually, my painter did that. Prime with Kilz. It seals and covers smokers' walls just fine.

As far as the top down/bottom up controversy, it never goes away. Here's a question that might make the answer obvious: How do you clean your kitchen appliances or cabinets? Top down, right? Does it make any difference that there are drips? No, because you get them as you go downward. I can't IMAGINE working from bottom up and constantly having to go back and clean up drips. It seems insane to me. All that extra work to re-clean a surface you just cleaned!

Reply to
Echo

replying to clare, Bubba wrote: This is the most logical explanation I've heard to date.

Reply to
Bubba

replying to mm, Rusty wrote: Basically it's like this. concrete wall or stucco wall is very porous. If you start at the bottom you're basically filling the pores with clean water. If you start at the top dirty water will run down and fill the pores below. When the wall dries what's in the pores is how the wall will look. Starting from the Bottom clean. starting from the top streaks.

Reply to
Rusty

replying to thekmanrocks, MW wrote: BOTTOM UP! If using extremely dry ! damp sponge or whatever rag blah thoroughly wrung out! then a trace of your cleaning agent/solution say for example:::::: cleaning wall off with tsp, its BOTTOM UP! to avoid streaking from your hand / applicator motions. IF excessively wet TOP DOWN naturally HA!

Reply to
MW

replying to Micky, Silly gillie wrote: That’s what my mother taught me. When I questioned her, she said it was to avoid streaking stains left by clean wall water running down on to the dirty wall and leaving streaks that won’t come out.

Reply to
Silly gillie

replying to Stormin Mormon, Silly gillie wrote: That’s what my mother taught me.

Reply to
Silly gillie

Stormin Mormon has been dead for a couple of years. Maybe he's washing walls wherever Mormons go to. Kolob? Kobol? I can never remember.

Reply to
rbowman

Absolutely not, you wash cars from the top down. All the heavy dirt and dust from the road is on the car and is thickest at the bottom. If you start at the bottom its going to be like dragging sandpaper across your entire vehicle.

If you really want to do it right use 2 buckets, 1 with just clean water and 1 with your car wash product, and you dunk your sponge in the clean water bucket after washing each section to get off most of the loose dirt and then dunk in your soap/water bucket afterward then wash next section, etc. This way you aren't washing your car with dirty azz soap/water.

Reply to
Jakez

Washing from the bottom up you're going to be dragging heavy dirt all over your car and leaving swirls marks and scratches. Don't wash in direct sunlight and you shouldn't have to worry about it drying too fast.

Reply to
Jakez