Wash walls from bottom up or top down??

Page 2 of 2
On 3/1/2011 1:06 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Raised any kids lately? Ever tried repainting a heavily-used kitchen in any house, or any wall in a house with smokers, without doing a scrub-down first?
Just sayin'
--
aem sends...

replying to aemeijers, Echo wrote: "Ever tried repainting a heavily-used kitchen in any house, or any wall in a house with smokers, without doing a scrub-down first?" Actually, my painter did that. Prime with Kilz. It seals and covers smokers' walls just fine.
As far as the top down/bottom up controversy, it never goes away. Here's a question that might make the answer obvious: How do you clean your kitchen appliances or cabinets? Top down, right? Does it make any difference that there are drips? No, because you get them as you go downward. I can't IMAGINE working from bottom up and constantly having to go back and clean up drips. It seems insane to me. All that extra work to re-clean a surface you just cleaned!
On 3/1/2011 12:52 AM, mm wrote:

Same as cars. Wash from the bottom up, rinse from the top down. you can't see where you've been washing if you get the whole thing wet by starting at the top.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

Totally different circumstances. Yes, on a car you wash from the bottom up because washing a car is generally a two step process of wash with soap followed by rinse. The reason to start at the bottom is simply to keep the areas already washed wet until the rinse is done. If you allow areas to dry in the process the rinse is not likely to remove the dried on soap and dirt. Washing a wall isn't normally a two step process.

The reason you start at the bottom and go up is because if you start at the top and some of the water drips down the dry part wall it will streak and those streaks are hard, if not impossible, to scrub off. And I know from experience.
-C-

Wash the wall from top to bottom.
replying to mm, Jbad wrote: My Mom said that if you start at the top, the drips will make streaks and the streaks will show when you finish washing the wall. I didn't believe her, washed a wall from the top and the streaks made me crazy.