Wash Machine

I have a wash machine (I think the brand/model is irrelevant to my problem but here it is . . .) Whirlpool Gold Ultimate Care, Heavy Duty, Super Capacity Plus Quiet Wash.
I have had it for about five years.
The machine has worked fine for years, so this is not an installation problem where the hose is not up high enough.
When I run the machine, the water fills up to about ten inches and then starts to drain out of the hose. It never fills, so it can not start the wash process. This has happened in the past and I would just move the dial to the spin cycle to empty out the water and then start the machine again.
This no longer works.
But I now can stuff the hole with a plastic bag to prevent the water from coming out and the wash machine will run through all the cycles.
I know nothing about machines and have not even attempted to remove any covers.
Can anyone tell me what might be the problem based on the information provided and a solution? Is this something I may be able to repair myself?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
TJ
Hollywood TJ wrote:

Hi,
Model# would be more useful so how the washer was designed would be known.

Certainly -sounds- like a possible install issue. A copy:
Q - My washer seems to keep filling with water, the water keeps coming in the washer and going out the drain without the washer motor running.
A - This often is a drain hose that is too low or a drain hose that has been pushed too far down inside the stand pipe....the water is actually siphoning out of the washer. Do not "seal" the drain hose to the house plumbing pipe, this will also allow the water to be siphoned out.
Well, it's not an installation problem IMO, but it IS a problem with the installation. For whatever reason, the water is siphoning out of the machine. The water level in the machine is getting close enough to the level of the hose J that it leaks over it and eventually begins to siphon. It's possible the drain pipe has become partly closed letting the water collect faster in the pipe, or something has changed position somewhere. Raise the highest level of the hose six inches or more above the top surface of the washer andit should stop.
IMO anyway.
PopS
[...]

Check www.repairclinic.com for some information.
Sounds as if the drain is remaining open during the entire cycle. Not being familiar with your machine I don't know exactly how it works, to the referral to the web site. .
Still looking for help here if anyone has any ideas.

Sounds like the standpipe is too short. Is it at least 40" from the floor?
> Sounds like the standpipe is too short. Is it at least 40" from the floor?
The OP addressed that:

-Tim
The hose comes out of the machine and goes up 43 inched from the floor. It then goes back down to the drain at the bottom of the wall.
I just raised it to 47 inches to see if this will help any. I'll try to run the machine next week, as I have just finished washing before I read your message.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info