WAS: Briggs & Stratton Engine Problem (many weeks ago)

Finally got the 5 hp B&S "L" engine to my Giant-Vac leaf blower running well, again. Thanks to everyone here for all the tips and suggestions. The problem with the engine was it hard to start and I had to keep the choke on for 15-20 minutes to keep the engine running until it fully warmed up.
I checked and replaced a lot of stuff in/on the carb with no improvement. I finally got a lead on the problem when I connected a leak down tester to the engine and heard a leak through the exhaust port. I ordered new intake and exhaust valves and proceeded to try to get the engine running by lapping-in the old valves. When I checked the valves stem clearance to the tappets, both valves were resting directly on the tappets. I ground the ends of both old valves and tried to lap them in, but they both continued to have compression leaks. As a result, I installed new valves along with a new header gasket after truing the engine head.
One pull, and the engine started. I've been running the engine now for about a week and it continues to run fine. The only thing I wish I had done to do a 100% repair was to re-cut the valve seats. I don't have the tools for that, but hope to find a good reasonably priced set to add to the tool chest.
Again, thanks for all the help and guidance.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.