warning on Jenn-Air wall ovens

If you are thinking of buying a new wall oven, you may want to steer clear of Jenn-Air.
We just replaced our 11 year old Kitchen-Aid after the control unit went dead after a cleaning cycle.
We bought an electric single Jenn-Air model JJW9530DDB. The first one had corrosion on the door near the hinge. It went back.
The second one worked for 1 day, then tonight it shut itself off while broiling. Pressing Broil or Bake gives error 1C2C - and it refuses to work. I turned off the power for 15 seconds then turned it back on. Broil would come on, but again it turned itself off after 2-3 minutes.
It will go back obviously.
Any comments on Jenn-Air (now Maytag) quality? We've had Maytag washer/dryers for years and they are rock solid. The Jenn-Air is a very attractive unit with thoughtful features like a bottom element that is enclosed and a top element which has very low clearance, but quality seems to be lacking.
Also, none of the repair sites list error codes like 1C2C, just ones like F1, F2...
And perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy (very likely) but 20 years ago, appliances were cheaper, simpler and lasted MUCH MUCH longer. (And they were cheaper and easier to fix too). We're tossing a dead Kitchen-Aid oven because the circuit board to fix it is $600. Go into any appliance store and you will see massive stainless steel covered appliances, costing $$$$$ but I suspect the internals are just as crappy as the bottom end stuff.
Grumpy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I buy all my appliances now at Lowes for one simple reason. Their 4 year service agreement is cheap. Around $90 for 4 additional years after the warranty expeires. With the way appliance are made now, that is the only way to go. Other stores want $300 for same coverage.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Art wrote:

Yeah, we will DEFINITELY get an extended warranty. I think they should give it to me for free. A $2000CDN oven should last for 4 years (more like 20)
However I'm in Canada, and I don't think we have Lowe's here.
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rob Mitchell wrote:

Hi, I heard they're coming up here soon. The more competition, the better. I never buy extended warranty. I do my own repair. So far nothing major happened to me. Latest challenge was figuring out and refurbishing gas furnace control logic board. Doing it myself was a saving of ~300.00. Tony
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tony Hwang wrote:

    Extended warranties are a very profitable item for retailers. If you never buy an extended warranty, you get to keep the profit by self-insuring.
    Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
RobertM wrote:

No argument there.

Setting that money aside as a reserve in an interest bearing account is a fine way to hang on to that money until it's needed. Many people just assume the risk and call it self-insuring - that's not quite the same thing.
R
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
RobertM wrote:

I rarely buy extended warrantees. However if I have advance warning of a low quality product (as in this case) it is a good bet to put the risk on the manufacturer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rob Mitchell wrote:

If extended warranties were *ever* a good bet in favor of the consumer, they wouldn't be available. The people who sell extended warranties *know* that the likelihood of having to pay out is in their favor. Why would you want to make a bet when you know the odds are stacked heavily against you?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Couldnt you say the same thing about insurance in general? Not saying that extended warranties are worth it. I think they generally are overpriced, but that the basic premise is not unjustified. You pay a little extra to warrant against a large loss. If that large loss is no big deal to you then the bet is unjustified. But if the large loss would really hurt you then the warranty may be worth it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:45:48 -0800, "Adam Russell"

Maybe the "extended warranty" is worthwhile if you're buying something you can't really afford.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If the 4 year extra warranty was $250 I would agree with you. But for $90 and with typical service at $300, it is a no brainer. Every appliance I've bought in the last few years has required repairs.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Whenever a dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty, I tell them if the thing doesn't last any longer than that, I will just buy a new one of a different brand somewhere else.
Walt Conner
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I used to say the same. But after several appliane disasters and the availability of cheap service agreements from Lowes for $90 bucks I'm converted. I won't buy a plasma tv till I can get one with a cheap 4 year service agreement.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tony Hwang wrote:

I tried to repair the last control board. Several components were blown off the board. I guessed a bit and replaced some resistors, diodes and 2 transisters, but the voltage regulator was shorted and it looked like high voltage got on it. Hard to fix without drawings. Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:57:18 -0500, Rob Mitchell

I hate all those electronics and LCD displays on new appliances. They don't stand up well to the high temperature and power settings and they cost a fortune to replace. No PCB is worth fixing or fixable on site. The old appliances had clockwork stuff that needed only to rotate and make ON/OFF contact at the set times and another bimetallic control for temperature. All the programmable options are nonsense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
They are nice while they work.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A few have a legitimate purpose, such as saving energy, but most of them are there to impress silly people who want to play Star Trek in the kitchen.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:38:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote:

I long for the days when a gas oven had 8 parts and never broke.

It would be nice to have the oven go on before one got home so the roast was done when I got there. it would also be reckless imo, fires and all that. I also don't think I like having the roast sitting outside the fridge for 7 extra hours.
Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let me know if you have posted also.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Considering the advantages of older appliances:
When I moved into this house there was an old built-in electric oven. It heated fine, but there was a problem with the clock. It wouldn't keep time, but made a very loud CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK noise all the time. It could be hard all over the house. It reminded me of a failed transmission, where the gears weren't tight enough and kept slipping.
I didn't need a clock, and found it easy to remove the front panel and change the wiring (really just removing power from the clock and setting it to "manual"). I'm sure I couldn't have done something like that with a new oven.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rob Mitchell wrote:

No wonder Maytag is no more.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.