Warning Crystal Radio

Page 1 of 2
the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is actually virus laden. Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

A response like this deserves a bump though most of us do recognize the off topic post are frequently just as you describe this one.

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?
-- aem sends...
On 12/25/2010 5:43 PM aemeijers spake thus:

You mean you actually clicked on the link?
Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No click, no harm.

No, I clicked on the miniature picture on the Google screen- which didn't use to take you straight to the page it came from. It used to just show the harvested .jpg, with an additional button to jump to the web page. Mebbe they had executable code attached to the picture- the PCTools protection suite I have on here is usually rather good about blocking bad websites. -- aem sends...
?

You've evidently not run across this yet. You click on what looks to be a credible link and this thing pops up and there is no way out that I've found. I'm not sure that it is really doing anything, or just putting things on the screen, but it is something you'd want to avoid.
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:37:31 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

alt-f4? does that work?
?
wrote

That would close the browser so, it probably would work.

Sometimes and sometimes not. Often one must use control/alt/delete, select the browser, usually iexplore.exe and click on end process. This description is for XP since I have never upgraded from that stable OS.
On 12/25/2010 8:37 PM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

No, I have run across such things; I've just never clicked on them.

?
wrote

As stated (but you seem to ignore) you don't have to click on it. It starts from another link that look legit. Thus the browser dump.
wrote in message

It happened to me yesterday. Clicked on a newsgroup item under 'writing'. I was trying to find a group of authors. Anyway, I immediately started getting interrupted by messages to download a virus killer, and they would pop up every few minutes.
I ran Malware, which found the virus and removed it, but now I can't get on with IE. Keep getting message that the connection failed. I haven't thought of what I need to do to get out of this problem. I can use NGs & email fine.
You said you had to dump the browser session. Do you mean you just exited the browser? I am not familiar with your terminology of 'dump'.
Anyone have any advice?
Thanks, Bob-tx
? "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote

Yes, I was able to close the browser. I've had good luck running malwarebyte.org program, but I'm not sure how you'd get to it if you cannot run IE. The program is 7.4 MB so maybe you can put in on a flash drive from another computer or I can email it to you if I DL and save it.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My neighbor did click on it, and a couple of hours of work and we got his computer back. Malwarebye was the only thing that would find and fix it and I had to boot with safe mode to download it, from either the net or from a USB. I don't remember but we finally got it. First time I've gotten one that far gone back to working without a reformat and clean install.
On Dec 26, 6:33am, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

You can make sure your Malware software is updated and run it in safe mode. If nothing else works, you can run the computer's restore program to a point saved just a few days ago when things were running ok.
You also want to make sure you are running the latest version of the browser you are using.
-C-

I had to do that a few days ago, too. My system allows a restore of only the OS and applications, so all data is kept. Even the status (last read point) in my newsreader was kept.

FireFox has been taking care of that for me. Often more bother than it's worth, though.
On Dec 26, 4:38pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I've run into occasions though where restore wouldn't run because it said no changes had been made since the restore point I selected, even though that point was days or weeks prior. In other words the virus didn't trigger a change. That's why I use Acronis backup and can restore from it if windows restore doesn't work.
And I've learned the hard way that when those virus windows pop up, I immediately kill power to the cable modem before I hit any key on the keyboard.

The backup/restore I use is part of the Lenovo ThinkVantage application on a ThinkPad. The restore doesn't require any changes. It just asks whether you want a full restore or a quick restore (OS and apps only). There is a way to select which backup to use but no changes are necessary. I've done full restores, too, after disk failures. Everything works quite well, if a little scary.

I would imagine that in 99% of the cases, by the time you see any evidence, it's too late.
Bob-tx wrote:

Anytime you have a annoying popup, ctrl/alt/del and kill the browser. Dont click on OK/Yes/NO or "close window" , because that is often enough to install malware.

I run the browser in a sandbox.