WARNING: AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS

AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS
We gave them a $400 deposit and they basically disappeared. We cancelled their contract for non-performance, and now it's a huge hassle to try and get our money back. I have filed a complaint with the Virginia BBB, and I am considering a fraud complaint with the local police dept.
AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS
Be on the lookout for... University Painters PO BOX 549 Alexandria, VA 22313 1-800-879-2656 703-836-8000 Manager: Victor Krasij www.universitypainters.com
AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS
AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS
Excerpt from a letter I am writing:
"We received a proposal #xxxxxx from Victor Krasij on July 16, 2003. We paid a deposit of $400. The painting was to begin some time between August 7 and August 21, 2003. That time has come and gone, and nothing has been done. It seems that our numerous attempts to contact Mr. Krasij (or anyone else at University Painters) have been ignored.
We are canceling the contract for non-performance. Since it is now impossible to start the work within the date range specified in the proposal agreement, we are demanding a full refund of the $400 deposit.
As we have heard nothing from your company in response to any of our inquires, we have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection. If we do not receive an IMMEDIATE REFUND, we will file a criminal fraud complaint with the local police department. "
AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS University Painters Maxco Development Corp. 333 N. Fairfax Street, Suite 305 Alexandria VA 22313
University Painters PO Box 549 Alexandria VA 22313 1-800-879-2656 703-836-8000
University Painters/Victor Krasij 243 Haynes Road Avon, CT 06001
AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS AVOID UNIVERSITY PAINTERS
counter snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave) wrote:

For some reason, people confuse my corporation, Bob's Barbecued Bunnies, with the Better Busines Bureau.
Victor Krasij had probably just finished his sophomore year at college when you paid him the deposit. He's probably back at school.
Maxco hires recruiters to hire interns at college campuses. Interns manage University Painters offices, make the estimates, keep the books, and hire the painters. An intern can make $1,000 a week.
With inexperienced temporaries running the show, aren't there bound to be problems for customers?
It appears that for several years, University Painters offices have been opening around the country. They don't seem to answer BBB requests for information or stay in business long.
The BBB calls Maxco, the parent company, unsatisfactory.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

Barbecue Bob wrote:

About ten years ago I tried letting a group called "College Pro" paint my home. They did a fair to poor job, but what pissed me off the most is that they pulled off the dozens of well nailed on decorative shutters on our colonial style home, so they could paint them and the wallspace behind them separately, not a bad idea. But, the shutters were originally held on with 16d galvanized finish nails and they put them back up with non-galvanized 10d common nails barely long enough to get a half inch into the siding. I never thought to look for that, who would? As soon as the fall winds stated kicking up, shutters began flying loose, some even busting a bit when they crashed onto the driveway from two stories up. It took me a month of Sundays to get 'every damn shutter fastened securely on, using 3-1/2" black coated deck screws.
PS: Four years ago I painted the entire house myself with a little help from a teen aged son, and did it right this time.
Jeff
-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
All is well; the matter has been resolved.