Warning about lumber

I've warmed up to many barrels of burning lumber on a construction site. Kept warm. Even when I had a wood burning stove inside at home I used remnants of lumber.
-- Oren
I wouldn't think kiln dried lumber should change much if any in only 5 weeks. Unless it took on moisture.
--
Steve Barker

"46erjoe" < snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net> wrote in message

it may be kiln dried,but it's essentially stored outdoors at any home- repair store.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Construction lumber is not all that dry. IIRC, it is about 12% compared to the furniture grades that are 7%. Most will twist and bend once brought into the house. I've seen it at the store with as much as a 90 degree bend in it. Incredible how bad it can be.
Steve Barker LT wrote:

One wouldn't think so but it does. I built a temp wall to hold up the ceiling while I was working replacing the roof (rafters and all). Put it up one day, next day one of the studs had a 90 degree twist in it. That was lumber fresh from the lumber yard.
Harry K
That's scary. Guess I better get busy putting the blocking in all those new 16' floor joists I just hung a week ago.
--
Steve Barker

"Harry K" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Ah yes. Did an 18x30 addition. Had to use bar clamps and install blocking as I went to do the floor joists..
Harry K
46erjoe wrote:

It sounds to me like you may have got some green lumber. I've never had problems like that, and I haven't taken any extreme precautions.

If you had clamped or weighted the lumber it won't move as much. Also, make sure you buy kiln-dried. A moisture tester is worth having. Better to store lumber off the basement floor.
Phisherman wrote:

Clamping or weighting it will only hold it until you remove the clamps. As for kiln dried, you would have to buy direct from the saw mill to get any that wasn't kiln dried. At least in this part of the country.
Harry K
what part of the country? We have all kinds of green lumber available here in KC
--
Steve Barker

"Harry K" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Pacific NW. Of course the lumber produced here is all softwood, fir/pine/spruce. Anything purchased at a lumberyard or big box will have gone through the kiln.
Harry K

On concrete? Sucking in moisture from from it?

I believe lumber from any source that spends 5 weeks flat on a basement floor is likely absorb and release moisture unevenly and thereby warp. It is best to use it promptly but if not it needs to be stored so that air can circulate evenly around it.
Don Young
Is this clear lumber (non-treated), or is it treated? I have piles of lumber that often sit outdoors for while when I tear down a building. Aside from an occasional board, I rarely get warped boards. On the other hand green treated tends to warp all over the place as it dries. Its always wet or damp when I buy it, and it warps like crazy upon drying. So, I assume you got treated, or else your basement flooded when no one was looking. Of course if you bought cottonwood lumber, then it probably is firewood. I bought some rough sawn cottonwood 2x4s from a local sawmill. They were cheaper than pine, supposed to be stronger, and I figured for the barn roof they would be fine. I picked straight ones, when I finally built the roof a month or more later, these were so twisted they were unusable. They got rained one once but were kept inside after that. I'd never buy that junk again, and since the guy at the mill would not take them back, he lost a customer over $40.

:I made a grave error recently. I bought a lot of 2 X 4s to finish off :my basement. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to it right away, and the :lumber sat on the floor of my basement for about 5 weeks. Well, when I :bought the wood, I selected each piece for straightness. Guess what? :About 2/3s of them are all twisted and bent out of shape - useless :except for starting a fire in my fireplace. : :So, don't be like me. Buy your wood just prior to using it. If not, :you may end up wasting a lot of money. Not to denigrate your post, but I haven't experienced this. I've often bought wood and put off usage and can't recall regretting it. I HAVE experienced wood warping, but resolved the problem by stressing it in the opposite direction for a short period, straightening it out.