Warning about lumber

Page 1 of 2

I made a grave error recently. I bought a lot of 2 X 4s to finish off my basement. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to it right away, and the lumber sat on the floor of my basement for about 5 weeks. Well, when I bought the wood, I selected each piece for straightness. Guess what? About 2/3s of them are all twisted and bent out of shape - useless except for starting a fire in my fireplace.
So, don't be like me. Buy your wood just prior to using it. If not, you may end up wasting a lot of money.
46erjoe wrote:

Or don't buy them at home cheepo the next time.
Did he mention WHERE he bought it???
--
Steve Barker

"George" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Regards,
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Well, if he DID buy it at Home Cheapo, he's in luck.
They'll happily take it back.
Of course if he bought it out of someone's trunk, or from a "It fell off a truck" sale, he's stuck.

Well, yeah.. My dad was a carpenter and he never had wood laying around....
-- Oren
To reduce warp I always stand lumber up as vertical as possible to allow the air to circulate around all 4 edges so that it dries evenly. If it is winter I prefer to keep my wood in the unheated garage. If I have too much to stand up and I need to lay it on the floor, I always put spacers under it and either clamp them all together with a pipe clamp or pile weights, concrete blocks or fertilizer bags on the pile to keep it reasonably flat. These methods don't always work but keep the warping and twisting to a minimum.

:To reduce warp I always stand lumber up as vertical as possible to allow the :air to circulate around all 4 edges so that it dries evenly. If it is winter :I prefer to keep my wood in the unheated garage. If I have too much to stand :up and I need to lay it on the floor, I always put spacers under it and :either clamp them all together with a pipe clamp or pile weights, concrete :blocks or fertilizer bags on the pile to keep it reasonably flat. These :methods don't always work but keep the warping and twisting to a minimum.
I've done similar to some drywall in my garage. I have it stacked on a flat horizontal surface. My limited experience has shown that drywall pieces will warp easily. These are not full sheets, but I'm sure it applies to them even more so.

Why not? And don't use creosote as a reason, that is not a good one if burned properly. Hardwood is better, but softwood, especially construction lumber that has been reasonably dried, works very well. Many people only have pine available and have heated their homes with it for centuries. Use what you have.
wrote in message

I'll tell you why not ... who can get up 3 times during the night to restoke the fire?
wrote in message

Give me black locust!
Osage orange for me. 100% and nothing else.
--
Steve Barker

"Toller" < snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Ditto that!
Every time the subject of firewood comes up and I mention Osage Orange, nobody's ever heard of it.
But it's the best firewood in North America.
Lucky for me, I've got a 165-foot-long treeline of them from an old hedgerow some farmer planted 80 years ago.
http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/2006/05/top-10-fuel-trees-for-zone-5-and-above.html
I've got a mile of them. And that's just the two long property lines. Not to mention the stuff out in the middle of the 80.
--
Steve Barker

"Ether Jones" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I do not disagree, but my favorite was locust ... I could find and cut it myself.
Caveat: If you're an idiot, or know nothing about lumber, do NOT go out and buy large quantities.
Steve ;-)
"Charles Schuler" wrote

Charles Schuler wrote:

At my age, you have to get up at least three times during the night anyway...

LOL!!
Ugh....why do I know this... :-(