warning about lever handle style door locks

The rant about locksmithing below reminded me of this.
I just installed a lockset on my back door. It is the kind with the lever style handle. While installing it I noticed that to replace the locking core, you needed to depress a tab and the handle would slide off exposing the core to be removed and replaced. I was shocked to realize that the tab was on the outer handle (key side) and that anyone could easily remove the handle and actuate the lock with any handy tool like a needle nose plier. The handle was Kwikset but a trip to the store showed that virtually all (consumer / residential) locksets with this style handle suffered the same flaw. Round handle door locks do not seem to have this problem.
Who cares if the lock is pick resistant when you can remove it with your fingernail!!!
I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior door unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock and do use the deadbolt.
http://www.kwikset.com/Products/default.aspx/Details/Lido/ (exterior locks) http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm (residential lever)
PipeDown wrote:

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is to open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you can go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would still look for that deadbolt.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
A lock is only as good as the door jamb it's locking into. If the door was installed without a metal backing plate behind the jamb, a properly applied shoulder to the door is all that is needed to break it. I've had to do this once and I managed it on the first try with only a 2 step lead up and about 1/4 of my 170lb weight.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

And the deadbolt is useless in a typical wood-framed opening unless a security strike plate is installed. The typical sheet metal strike with puny screws will rip out of the framing/molding with one swift kick to the door.
snipped-for-privacy@nls.net says...

criminals out (how many windows do you have?). They're there to make insurance companys happy, keep honest people honest, and criminals next door. ;-)
--
Keith

Keith Williams wrote:

get broken into. And then your rate will start going up.
snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu says...

Maybe, but the fact is that the most expensive lockset in the world won't protect you from a burglar comming in the window next to the door.
--
Keith

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Oops me bad, I took a closer look and the condition I described only occurs if the lock is 1/2 turned. I inadvertantly didn't notice that the lock was this way the first time I inspected it. The handle does appear locked in this state and is easily left that way if one is careless nonetheless when the lock is fully locked or unlocked, I cannot depress the release tab.
A modist security problem now, not as bad as I thought. Forgive me for the false alarm.