Warm wires

If I use a 1500W heater in the garage, the wire of the heater, the wall socket and the plug, all get pretty hot. Not melting hot, but very warm. Is this OK? I am guessing that the supply through to the garage is not strong enough to take the current being drawn by the heater. So my question is, should I suspend use? I don't want a fire.
Alternatively, I have a 220v output in the garage. I can't find any 220v heaters at any of the usual retail outlets (HD, Sears, Menards). Anyone know of a good place to buy (Minnesota)? I was advised to take just two of the wires to power a 100v heater, but might I just have the same issue with warm wires?
Finally, while on the warm wire question, one of the dimmers for our family room gets pretty warm (ie the cover plate is very warm to the touch, so I guess the unit inside is even hotter). Is this a problem? Should I change the dimmer? It is only powering 3 x 100w bulbs.
TIA
Mat
I can't help with the wire getting hot, but if the plug or outlet is dirty, cleaning it can sometimes help. Brush-on Caig DeOxit worked for me. Put it on the plug, plug it in several times, wipe off plug, repeat until it stays clean. The temperature dropped thereafter.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber41-215&DID=7 Caig Deoxit
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
"Mat and Suzy" wrote in message

question
of
with
family
change
Actually, the local Menards (25 southwest of Chicago) carries a built-in electric heater which runs on 220. Check carefully as they are sometimes all mixed up on the shelf.
Mat and Suzy wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:15:11 GMT, "Mat and Suzy"

I am using a 1500W heater in the garage too, and my outlet is 3 feet from the 100A breaker box, using #12 romex. I just installed the breaker box and the outlet, and know that everything is done correctly. My plug and outlet get hot too. The outlet is brand new. I plan to use a little emory cloth on the prongs of the plug. They get old and corroded and offer some resistance.
To answer your question, it appears normal. However, I'd suggest cleaning the plug prongs, and if the outlet is old and loose, replace it.

question
This is Turtle.
If everything is what you say it is. Nothing should get hot. There is something wrong with the circuit.
TURTLE

question
of
with
family
change
This is Turtle.
When a plug and receptical gets hot and wire away from the plug does not. You have a poor connection in the plug and receptical. Replace plug and receptical and don't try to clean or brush it. It never works.
TURTLE
On 11 Nov 2003, TURTLE wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TURTLE: Hooked on Phonics, line 1.
Mat & Suzy: It sounds like there might only be 15A wire feeding that circuit. If so, it's only rated for continuous duty (like a space heater) at 80% of full capacity (=.8*120V*15A = 1440W) Even though you're only a hair over, it's still not good to run any wire that hot. Either replace the wiring to that receptacle with 12 guage (20A full load, 1600 cont duty) or maybe look into using that 240V outlet you spoke of. That can be tricky though, depending on the presence of a neutral wire. Depends on who wired the thing. If it was a thinking DIY'er or an electrical person, they likely used 3 wire w/ground. But if it was a half-fast plumber, then they likely saved $2.00 on the wire and only used 2-wire w/ground. Even if there is a neutral, make sure that's 12 guage, not 14, or you'll be right back in the same boat, just from a different outlet.

question
of
with
family
change
This is Turtle.
We have a joker on the group call Tom and please forgive us for having him post such trash.
Now the dimmer switch. It seem it could be the dimmer switch if it only controls 3 -- 100 watt light bulbs. 300 watts should not heat up any type wall switch you may have.
TURTLE
Check the amp draw of the heater to see if its defective