War Time home - insulation question

Hi,

I've recently went into the attic of the home I purchased last year. It had an addition put on several years ago, and going in the attic I can see the shingles of the original roof (personally I don't think the addition was done too professionally, but whatever).

The reason I've gone into the attic is to see why the second floor is so much hotter in the summer; I don't believe it was done appropriately. Anyway, in tearing through the old roof into the "original attic" there is some insulation there, very dusty and grey. I'm just wondering if there is a change the older insulation is asbestos based.

I have some pictures for reference here:

but I'm not sure if it will help.

Thanks in advance, MP

Reply to
MP

Hot up there in the attic? And how hot is that?

Reply to
Michael Baugh

So what if it is? I think it would do less harm lying where it is than having it removed. Also, if it did contain asbestos, it is probably about $15,000 cheaper to let it lie rather than remove it..

Meanwhile, I'd blow in several inches of insulation on top of it (while wearing a good respirator) and forget about it for next 20 years.

Reply to
PJx