War Time home - insulation question

Hi,
I've recently went into the attic of the home I purchased last year. It had an addition put on several years ago, and going in the attic I can see the shingles of the original roof (personally I don't think the addition was done too professionally, but whatever).
The reason I've gone into the attic is to see why the second floor is so much hotter in the summer; I don't believe it was done appropriately. Anyway, in tearing through the old roof into the "original attic" there is some insulation there, very dusty and grey. I'm just wondering if there is a change the older insulation is asbestos based.
I have some pictures for reference here: http://members.tripod.com/pytnom/attic but I'm not sure if it will help.
Thanks in advance, MP
Hot up there in the attic? And how hot is that?
Probably not asbestos, but you also probably don't have a square foot of ventilation for each 150 square ft of vented space, divided equally between intake and peak outlet. If you don't have at least a foot per 300 square feet, you likely have no guarantee on your shingles. Product is likely rockwool. http://www.hydro-heads.com/pages/rockwool_is_probably_the_most_po.htm

<< Anyway, in tearing through the old roof into the "original attic" there is some insulation there, very dusty and grey. I'm just wondering if there is a chance the older insulation is asbestos based. >>
Odds are it isn't. There were much cheaper insulations available years ago, like vermiculite, rock wool, etc. Just for laughs, see if a sample of it will burn. Early chopped cellulose (if that is what it is) may not have had any fire retardants so it is well that you know that characteritic. If there is substantial ash left, treat it with a drop or two of water and look for fibrous material. If the residue looks suspicious have it lab tested. Good luck.
Joe

So what if it is? I think it would do less harm lying where it is than having it removed. Also, if it did contain asbestos, it is probably about $15,000 cheaper to let it lie rather than remove it..
Meanwhile, I'd blow in several inches of insulation on top of it (while wearing a good respirator) and forget about it for next 20 years.