Wanting to replace shallow well pump, ( I think)

Hello, I would like to replace the water pump at my mother in laws cottage. It is on a bluff above the lake so I would assume that the pump is in fact a shallow well type? If so, is it simply a matter of uninstalling the old one and installing the new one? I was hoping to use one of the ones in this link:http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp ? pcID=4&paID35&sonIDA1&page=1&productID)642
any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Link didnt work, sorry, I'll try it again ,
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID 35&sonIDA1&page=1&productID)642
On Jun 7, 7:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Exactly what is the height of the pump above the water level? Around 20-25 feet qualifies as shallow well. When you say 'on a bluff', that implies something substantially higher needing a different sort of pump.

When you have determined for sure what sort of system you have, and have found the correct pump to buy, you need to review your basic pipefitter's skills and tool set. Working on old 1 1/2" and 2" iron pipe typical of old water systems requires a hefty pair of pipe wrenches just for openers. Check out local tool rental places for those. Then review the electrical feed. Odds are in a cottage it has been code non-compliant for years. Get it up to spec to avoid problems with the new pump. Other than these things, yes, it's simlpy what auto mechanics call R & R, 'remove and replace'. Good luck.
Joe
Thank you very much for the advice, I do have a good size pipewrench, and a very large cresent too. I think it was replaced within the last 15 yrs if that makes a difference. It has a cracked housing due I would guess from freezing? It is underground, in a well pit inside the cottage, which is not heated at all in winter.
On Jun 7, 7:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Adding to Joe's:
Tools. The crescent wrench will not be suitable. YOu need pipe wrenches. It will probably take 2 and 24" size would be about right.
Pump type: Shallow well = one pipe down to the watger. Jet pump two pipes down to the water. The type currently installed should be obvious on a quick inspection. The pumps in your link are jet type.
Once you change out the pump, you will then have to prime the new pump installation so have some extra water on hand.
Harry K