Want to avoid Saddle Valve for Ice Maker

I'm installing a refrigerator with a water tap and an ice maker. I want the safest water supply to the refrigerator I can get. I think Saddle Valves are crappy and unreliable.

I have a 20 foot steel braided water line with 1/4" female compression fittings at both ends. I'm comfortable with the quality of this line. I will be tapping into a 1/2" copper water line for the water source. However, all the kits I see use a saddle valve to tap into the line. I'm not comfortable with the quality of that type of connection. I'd like to tee off the 1/2" water line with copper (i.e.

1/2x1/2x1/4 tee) and then have a male threaded fitting on the 1/4" leg of the tee for connection to the braided supply line. Or, alternatively, I'd like to find a 3-way water supply valve that has slip-slip connections for the 1/2" copper water line (for soldering) and 1/4" compression connection for the ice maker line. My problem is, I can't seem to find any of the fittings I would need anywhere!!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I might find the parts I'm looking for or for some other way to connect the ice maker line that's more robust than a saddle valve?

Thanks, C

Reply to
kevharper

If you can't find a reducing tee, I'd just use a regular

1/2in tee and then a reducer down to 1/4in.

You might be able to find a valve assembly with 1/2in inputs and a 1/4in compression on the outlet. That might be a way to go if you want a shut-off and have the space to accomodate the thing. Probably not okay IF it's going to push your fridge out by another couple of inches.

I have an external water filter on my ice maker line. In fact, I've been through several of them (GE, Culligan et al) and they all have crappy plastic fittings. I've hunted everywhere for a filter unit with brass fittings but they don't seem to exist. When it comes to ice maker lines, everything seems to be crap. Very frustrating.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

You aren't looking for anything unusual. Maybe go to a real plumbing supply place?

I don't care for those saddle valves (or plastic tubing) either. I cut a tee into the 1/2" copper line and soldered it and a 1/4" valve and ran copper tubing about 15' to the ice maker leaving a loop behind the fridge.

Reply to
George

Dahl makes it use it all the time your right get ball valve which these are as they are the best

Reply to
jim

A Y connector is available, it installs onto the supply valve and you hook-up both icemaker and faucet supply lines to it. Should be available at HD or Lowes.

Reply to
m j d

I wish I could find an online store than has all the copper fittings I could ever dream of . It's hard for me to get to the store during the day and I need to mail order...

Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

Well, if you just want a site, you can always use McMaster-Carr;

Copper Sweat Tube Fittings ; Page 186

Orders arrive next day.

Note, they will cost more than your local plumbing outfit. If you know what you need, then you can always call in your order to your local plumbing outfit. Then find the time to pick up, or see if they will UPS out to you.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

is perfect. Thanks!!