Want a better flusher

Page 1 of 2
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?
Blue wrote:

Well I don't believe all American Standard Cadets were made equal. They may all be the same now however, I'm not sure. You want a large trap size (like 2.0" or larger) and fully glazed (I think they all have been fully glazed)
Had it always had the problem or is it recent?
Do you know to hold down the handle for an extra power flush?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Interesting. I have two Cadets. One works just OK so I bought a second. The second is like a different toilet and has been trouble from the getgo with mechanical problems and with a much smaller pool diameter making for more cleanup problems. That one is the one I want to replace.
As for trap size (diameter and glazing?) , is that information given on the Home depot display? Where is it given at all?

Blue wrote:

I hope this is not another example of corporate America giving up on quality and milking a good product for all it is worth by using its name for second rate junk.

Sometimes. It depends on where you go. It should be on the box and the dealer should be able to give it to you. It is available on their (AS) web site along with the specific model number.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan, you might need this: http://www.cafepress.com/cp/browse/?N 18+3773&pv=irishcountry.13262078&Ne%&bt=1&zoom=yes#zoom

second.
getgo
for
for
the
web
fully
Joe Fabeitz wrote:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/browse/?N 18+3773&pv=irishcountry.13262078&Ne%&bt=1&zoom=yes#zoom
I like it. However my car-local authorities, do not allow holders. I do have a bumper sticker however.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Blue wrote: ...

I was in a Lowes today and they listed fully glazed and trap size on about half the models. I would guess that many of those not listed fall in the 1 3/4" size range, but I have no easy of of knowing without going to the manufacturers web site or check with the salesperson who may not know themselves.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

We have this problem in my family, and 2.0 inches seems, well, not to quite capture the higher end of the distribution of human needs, if ya know what I mean :-)
Why isn't it larger??
Banty
Start out with the question of whether anyone is using some of the 'disinfectant' in it.
In spite of me reminding folks on the internet, I seem to have failed to mention it to my wife. So about a year ago, my Cadet seemed to be getting sluggish. Found the reason in the tank. Somebody had given her a package when they were moving, she dropped one in, and a couple of days later I was fussing about it.

Have no idea what you are referring to . Disinfectant?

They can cause "bluegoo" which tends to modify the fluid dynamics. http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml Considerably slowing a flush, and voiding warrantees on commode parts. I suggest the free class in toiletology, at http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

Charles Spitzer wrote:

Yea, that stuff can cause problems.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Check out this web site: http://www.totousa.com/toto/totohome.asp . A friend just installed one and he is raving about. He said "I will never sit on an American Standard again". It's not available in the box stores, but is from plumbing supply houses or online.
Clark Griswold wrote:

I bought an American Standard champion and never had a clog. One of the things it can do is flush a bunch of golfballs. I forget the # but i think its like 20something with one flush.
I think that golf ball demo thing was for one of their other units. The Champion. (2 3/8 trapway, 3" flush opening).

balls.
Michael Baugh wrote:

It may have been 2 3/8" I am not at all sure what model.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
You may want to try replacing the flush valve first. I think these have a flush valve that is designed to close before most of the water has left the tank. Check to see if it has a hole on the side of the flapper that is hidden when the valve is closed. I changed mine to a standard one (no hole) and it fixed the problem.
Of course, a change in diet may also help ;-)

Something here: Toiletology 101 http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml or here: Terry Love's consumer toilet reports A report on low flow water efficient toilets http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
might be helpful. I went with Toto. Have never regretted it
Information Courtesy of Roy-Roy National/International News Guy www.virginianewssource.com
Thanks for the terrylove link, just what I'm looking for!