Want a better flusher

My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Reply to
Blue

Well I don't believe all American Standard Cadets were made equal. They may all be the same now however, I'm not sure. You want a large trap size (like 2.0" or larger) and fully glazed (I think they all have been fully glazed)

Had it always had the problem or is it recent?

Do you know to hold down the handle for an extra power flush?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Start out with the question of whether anyone is using some of the 'disinfectant' in it.

In spite of me reminding folks on the internet, I seem to have failed to mention it to my wife. So about a year ago, my Cadet seemed to be getting sluggish. Found the reason in the tank. Somebody had given her a package when they were moving, she dropped one in, and a couple of days later I was fussing about it.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Interesting. I have two Cadets. One works just OK so I bought a second. The second is like a different toilet and has been trouble from the getgo with mechanical problems and with a much smaller pool diameter making for more cleanup problems. That one is the one I want to replace.

As for trap size (diameter and glazing?) , is that information given on the Home depot display? Where is it given at all?

Reply to
Blue

Have no idea what you are referring to . Disinfectant?

Reply to
Blue

blue or white tablets that contain chlorine in some form.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Check out this web site:

. A friend just installed one and he is raving about. He said "I will never sit on an American Standard again". It's not available in the box stores, but is from plumbing supply houses or online.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

I hope this is not another example of corporate America giving up on quality and milking a good product for all it is worth by using its name for second rate junk.

Sometimes. It depends on where you go. It should be on the box and the dealer should be able to give it to you. It is available on their (AS) web site along with the specific model number.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yea, that stuff can cause problems.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I bought an American Standard champion and never had a clog. One of the things it can do is flush a bunch of golfballs. I forget the # but i think its like 20something with one flush.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

We have this problem in my family, and 2.0 inches seems, well, not to quite capture the higher end of the distribution of human needs, if ya know what I mean :-)

Why isn't it larger??

Banty

Reply to
Banty

You may want to try replacing the flush valve first. I think these have a flush valve that is designed to close before most of the water has left the tank. Check to see if it has a hole on the side of the flapper that is hidden when the valve is closed. I changed mine to a standard one (no hole) and it fixed the problem.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Something here: Toiletology 101

here: Terry Love's consumer toilet reports A report on low flow water efficient toilets
might be helpful. I went with Toto. Have never regretted it

Information Courtesy of Roy-Roy National/International News Guy

royroy

I like it. However my car-local authorities, do not allow holders. I do have a bumper sticker however.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Blue

Blue wrote: ...

I was in a Lowes today and they listed fully glazed and trap size on about half the models. I would guess that many of those not listed fall in the 1 3/4" size range, but I have no easy of of knowing without going to the manufacturers web site or check with the salesperson who may not know themselves.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Consumer Reports last tested toilets in Oct. 2002, and I have a couple of the Gerber Ultra Flush toilets that ranked high (ranked highest in their 2 earlier evaluations) and perform every well. Local plumbers are known to choose this model when they're required to guarantee the flushing performance. However for my next purchase I may instead get a Briggs Vacuity (ranked #1 below) because it uses ordinary parts for the flush valve that can be bought anywhere, rather than pressure valve parts.

Below are listed only the higher-ranked toilets. Generally, the vacuum or pressure operated toilets performed better, and all of the lower ranked models were gravity-operated.

5 = best, 1 = worst A = solid waste flushing B = bowl wash-down C = movement of solid waste through drain D = elimination of liquid waste E = noise

A B C D E

Briggs Vacuity 4200 4 5 5 5 4 $190, vacuum

American Standard 4 4 5 5 3 $450, pressure Cadet PA 2333.100

Gerber Ultra Flush 21-302 5 4 5 5 3 $280, pressure

Crane Vacuum Induced 4 5 5 4 4 $250, vacuum Power Flush VIP-3999

Gerber Ultra Flush 21-312 5 4 5 5 3 $300, pressure

Kohler San Raphael Power 5 4 4 5 3 $600, pressure Lite K-3398

Crane Economiser 3834 4 4 3 5 3 $200, pressure

Mansfield Quantum 150-100 4 3 5 5 2 $230, pressure

Toto Carlyie MS874114SG, 4 3 4 5 4 $460, gravity MS874114S

Kohler Wellworth 3422, 4 3 5 5 5 $150, gravity

3438, 3448, 3479, 3480

American Standard Cadet 3 4 4 5 4 $170, gravity

2798.012, 2319.015, 2321.018

Eljer Aqua Saver 091-7025 4 2 4 5 2 $420, pressure

Kohler Wellworth K-3423, 3 3 4 5 4 $120, gravity

3449, 3480, 3433

Eljer Canterbury 081-1625 3 3 4 4 5 $505, gravity

Eljer Patriot 091-2125, 4 3 5 1 4 $185, gravity

091-2195, 091-2135, 091-2155, 091-0225, 091-0228, 091-0227, 091-0245. Preserver II 091-4835, 091-2136

Eljer Patriot 091-2175 3 2 5 3 4 $285, gravity

17", Laguna 17" ER 091-3385
Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I think that golf ball demo thing was for one of their other units. The Champion. (2 3/8 trapway, 3" flush opening).

Reply to
Michael Baugh