Wands too long on pressure washers?

Why are the wands so long on pressure washers? My new dewalt has a 4' long want, so that when I wash the deck I've got my right arm up in the air above my head pulling the trigger, while my left arm is down near the end directing the spray. I haven't seen shorter versions in the shops, although I may have missed them - is this a safety issue? Everyone like this possition in prolonged washing sessions?

Reply to
dean

Huh? I just use one hand and direct the spray by holding the wand. We use one here at work and everyone uses it that way. I cannot imagine how awkward it is to use two hands if I'm reading your description right. You have one hand at each end of the wand?.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The wand has the nozzle on one end and the trigger on the other. How can you only hold it by the trigger - it would move all over the place by the reactive force of the jet?

Reply to
dean

The wand is long to keep the user from aiming it at himself. Depending upon the pressure of your particular power washer, it might be able to cause real damage.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

How far away are you keeping the nozzle from the surface you are power washing? I think normal is 4" - 12" to get the best effect. Further away and you lose much of the power.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Even my 9 year old grandson has done it.

Take a look at the guy in the photos on this page. He is comfortably using two hands.

Edwin Pawlowski