Walmart plumbing?

Page 2 of 3

For the same reason some hotshot politician or executive suddenly resigns: to spend more time with his family. It's a cover. They're having labor troubles at those locations. More generally, Walmart is overextended and needs to consolidate. Expect to see more closings on account of roof leaks, meth lab explosions, bee infestations, feng shui violations . . .

It is very risky for a company to close doors temporarily for an extended p eriod of time. Not only will they lose business during the closing, but th ey will also lose market share which is even more valuable. No one will wa it months before they go shopping again. They will go to other stores or p erhaps look for their missed bargains online. Those former customers may f ind other places to shop that they like better.
In my fathers's town is a fast food branch of a national chain. I would ta ke my dad their once in a while. One day we went and it was closed. No si gns indicating what happened. For weeks it looked as though it was being c losed down. Still no signs. I discussed it with some of the locals and my father's neighbors. We all thought it was closing down as another franchi se in the next town closed also. I went by there a few weeks ago at lunch time and it was open with a new look. However the parking lot was empty. My father got used to going to another chain down the road and forgot about this one. I suspect it will take them a long time to get their customers back. They should have communicated to their community what was going on a nd kept them updated to keep them engaged.
I suspect the Wal-Mart plumbing problem is something much bigger than they are publicly saying. If there was long term leakage, there could be mold. They may be trying to avoid lawsuits and insurance claims by minimizing th e issue. By closing the stores, the public and employees will not be expos ed to any hazards.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
On 4/21/2015 6:12 PM, John G wrote:

That could be a good a chance as any.
Bill
On 4/21/2015 6:12 PM, John G wrote:

It has occurred to me that if your conjecture is right then the reason they are planning for a 6 month shut down is that they really were kind of caught by surprise and don't have any idea what they are going to do about it. That would mean they have to start planning for the redo from scratch. That could mean a lot longer shut down than you would expect just for 'plumbing problems'.
Bill

[...]

I agree. Usually when a business has to do a shutdown for repairs, everyth ing is lined up ahead of time to minimize the downtime. Apparently in this case no plans have been made yet.
Incidentally my local WalMart completed a major remodeling and expansion se veral months ago. It never shut down.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:46:10 -0700 (PDT), John G

They are just punishing the employees who said they would strike if they could not get $15 an hour. This is just firing a shot across the bow of people who threaten a union. Closing a few stores is chump change to Walmart compared to the amount of money a $5 raise across the board would cost them.

That is one idea of why they are doing it. There are others. Do you have any evidence about it? I don't have any evidence for any of various explanations. They are all speculation.
Bill

The labor thing makes more sense than any other explanation I have heard. The "6 months to fix the plumbing" thing doesn't even pass the laugh test.
They are building a Walmart up the road from me and it will go from cows walking around in a barbed wire fence to cows walking around in stretch pants in less than 6 months.

That's hilarious!

Well, then why are they closing stores where there haven't been any labor demonstrations?
Bill

Maybe they are just sending a message.
The point is, there are no "plumbing" problems that would take 6 months to fix.
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:12:44 -0700 (PDT), John G

The same thing happened with the supermarket on my corner. They closed for months to remodel. So everyone got used to going elsewhere. A lot of people never came back. I don't shop there nearly as much either because I wound up going a little farther away and found there was a better selection and the same and lower prices. Plus they did a horrible job of remodeling and the store has a very unfriendly look now even though technically you could say it's "better".
customers can end this instantly. organize a 1 day protest. have protesters at all stores caling for a one day sales boycott.
the company will realize what they are doing is self destructive.
here at store 490 sales are down significantly, protesters at lot entrances. and general unhappiness with the company and its president.
it will cause management churn and the stores after a quick repairs will reopen

In Walmart's target demographic, people shop there because it is cheaper and they won't be cheaper if their labor costs rise significantly. I doubt people who make a similar wage will be protesting what walmart pays if it means their prices will go up.
I bet you will see, most people protesting walmart, would never think of shopping there anyway.
On Fri, 1 May 2015 10:27:53 -0400, "Robert Green"

"An extra million" added to the pay pool would raise everyone's salary less than 50 cents ... a year.
You can say all you want about the nazi Henry Ford but the fact remains, if they added $2 an hour to everyone in Walmart's payroll it would cost the company $8.8 BILLION dollars. Cutting the executive salaries to zero would just be a tiny drop in a very large bucket. The only way they could do that is to raise their operating income by 33% and that means much higher prices.
On Fri, 01 May 2015 12:02:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Walmart's last year's profits was $130B. Giving 1M employees a 2 buck raise would cost $4B. That's 3% of profits. Probably less, and maybe profits will actually increase due to better employee morale and efficiency. But why do that? The extra $4000 would make many employees ineligible for food stamps. Why should Walmart pay out good money when you're willing to pay for food stamps? Well, they already raised wages to $1.75 above federal minimum wage. Affected about .5M workers. By next April the Walmart min hourly wage will be $10 from what I see. That's $2.75 above fed min wage. And they did it without raising prices as far as I know. But they'll still have you paying for food stamps. Pick your poison.
On Fri, 01 May 2015 12:24:59 -0500, Vic Smith
That would certainly be a surprise to the stock holders. Where did you get that number/
On Fri, 01 May 2015 14:02:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You obviously don't know much about finance. What was their net income?

better numbers here:
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/104169/000010416915000011/wmtars-1312015.htm
Note that operating income (before taxes) was $27B in FY2015, not $130B, which amounts to about USD5.00 per share. Of that, almost USD2.00 is returned to the shareholders via dividends.
net sales 482,229,000,000 cost of sales 365,086,000,000 SG&A 93,418,000,000 ----------------------------- Op. Income 27,147,000,000 Taxes (USFed) 6,165,000,000 (state) 810,000,000 (Intl) 1,529,000,000 ----------------------------- Inc. after tax 18,653,000,000 Deferred tax 519,000,000 ----------------------------- Net Income 19,272,000,000 Dividends 9,821,386,138 ----------------------------- Net Income 9,450,613,861
So, walmart really made $9B in FY2015, not $130B.