Walmart Exterior Paint?

I had heard a few years back that Wal-Mart Paint was Excellent...made by one of the big guns in the paint industry. At the time, I bought Wal-Mart interior paint with good results.

Is there exterior paint just as good? I will be painting my house this next month and would like to get the best paint there is for the best possible price. Wal-Mart is going for $60 for 5 gallon pail.

Reply to
excap

barbarow

Last year when I asked, they claimed it was Sherwin-Williams. I asked a local who works there who would hear tales from users the generic "Is it any good?" question. He responded "They sell more paint than anyone else." I said that was the answer to a different question. He didn't respond further. :)

I did buy a gallon (oil-base exterior) for a trial on the house. It seemed "OK", but not long enough yet to compare.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I don't know who makes their stuff, and it may not be the same all over the country, but the stuff I bought (interior bath) a couple of years ago was outstanding.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'd strongly expect them to use the same vendor(s) for all, but there's certainly no guarantee that won't change. Last year they told me it was Sherwin-Williams.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

But that does not mean the quality is the same as you'd find in a SW store. My guess is that Wal Mart is giving them specs to meet. Could be better, could be worse.

My only experience with Wal Mart paint is one gallon of interior about 5 years ago. Hopefully, things are better now. I'm sticking the brands I know.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh, most certainly! Didn't mean to imply other than the manufacturer name. That's the way they purchase any/all products of such magnitude. One would expect solids content, etc., to be less w/ the W/M branded vis a vis the S-W, or at least the "best" W/M would more nearly equate to a mid-range S-W branded. I noted that when I was there last year, the price differential was not very great between what would have been, in my estimation, the closest matches between grades--roughly $1/gal was all.

For the large volume I required for the barn and house I ended up w/ Behr in large part because there is only one independent paint dealer left in town and they were unwilling to dicker at all even for an order of over 100 gal (primer and topcopat). On top of which, they didn't have oil-based in stock except in 1 gal cans and refused to order 5-gal buckets. :(

HD, otoh, gave significant discount and even offered to send the shipment directly here to the farm, 60 mi from the store in another town if it were necessary/convenient! I had no problem storing it for a while so just took delivery and brought it home, but compared to local S-W store, the service was most excellent. It's now been over one winter so far and all seems well this spring. Am waiting after rain last couple of days for it to dry up enough to finish some touch up prep and the last wall on the barn we got primer on but not topcoat before it got too cold last December. It went on well (sprayed, then brushed out) and covered well. Used a high gloss rather than semi-gloss to add additional surface protection and reflectivity in our high UV environment. Was blinding in the direct sun to look at although has dulled just slightly w/ some dirt/dust collection...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

My guess is that Wal Mart is giving them specs to meet.

Reply to
Hopkins

I spoke to a friend who is the CEO of a bicycle manufacturer about his dealings with Wal-Mart. He said he's happy to sell to them, but only on condition that his company's name does not appear on the product, because of what he's forced to do in order to meet their pricing policies. Example: fewer spokes in the wheels, vinyl instead of leather saddles, plastic where metal should be used, unsmoothed welds, no primer, less paint, etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise is built to a price point, rather than a quality/feature level.

Reply to
PhotoMan

CR favors Glidden because it's cheap [a best buy]. And the Glidden that rated high is not the cheap line.

Reply to
Hopkins

If you're looking to save a few bucks, don't do it when buying [exterior] paint.

You get what you pay for. At 12 bucks a gallon, you'll probably be sorry.

Reply to
Hopkins

I only buy quality paint. This has proved an excellent policy. I last painted my house in the early 1980's and the paint is just starting to need a recoat. Think about the cost per year and the time and labor to paint a house, if it can last 20 to 23 years, the cost for the good stuff is minimal.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Right. The main "expenditure" in exterior painting is prep and application - not the paint itself.

Reply to
BillC

Most of Wal-mart's paint is made by Sherwin Williams and Valspar. I know that because a good friend of mine was a sales rep for both paint companys over the years and he told me so. He also told me about a WalMart paint product called Multi-Use. He said when it hit the market he questioned the vast array of surfaces the product touted it would work on.

He tested it himself on different ypes of wood, new metal, rusty metal aluminum, drywall, even hardibacker among other things. He left the stuff outside for 6 mos. and said that virtually every surface still looked as good as the day he first painted them. he claims it's an excellent product for interior or exterior.

He's a very experienced (now retired) painter as well himself and is no longer tied to either paint mfger anymore, or Walmart for that matter and could care less what anyone else uses so I trust his judgement.

Reply to
G Henslee

Yeah but it's so easy to give *that* type of reply when the question deals with quality. And while there's probably nothing in the world that *that* can't be said about, it's not always true. Hey it's usenet advice, "you get what you pay for"...

Reply to
G Henslee

care less what anyone else uses so I trust his judgement.

*snip*

Does it really matter company makes it if the reseller specifies lesser quality ingredients or quality level?

Reply to
PhotoMan

General Motors makes the Chevette, Vega, and the Cadillac. Too bad all three of them are shit.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

What do you know for fact about it? Didn't think so. Speculation means squat.

Apples and oranges.

Reply to
G Henslee

Can't necessarily argue that, but cheap exterior paint just doesn't hold up like good stuff.

When it comes to interior paint, who cares? It's a controlled environment, so using cheap stuff is fine if that's what someone wants.

Reply to
Hopkins

Even the Valspar stuff that's labelled Valspar is lower quality.

While I'm at it, the multi-use stuff is iffy at best. IMO it's targeted for homeowners who just don't want to bother with buying a couple different paints

Reply to
Hopkins