Walmart, and the identical box trick

Page 2 of 2
on 10/11/2007 6:19 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com said the following:

have a different taste than heating a cup full of water in the microwave.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The gradual contamination of the water with Chinese mystery teapot coating also adds a certain something. "Oh Madge - this tea is simply divine. Where *do* you get your cadmium?"

Why should you suppose that a teapot will be made in China? From the context above, I believe we're discussing a vessel made to heat water on the stove (which I usually call a teakettle) rather than a ceramic vessel made to steep tea. My teakettle is quite old, stainless steel, and Made in America. Perhaps the mother-in-law's is similar.
Cindy Hamilton

I "supposed" because when I went shopping for one 5 years ago, every single one of them (at 6 different stores) was made in China, and had an internal coating which everyone knows will deteriorate quickly.
I was looking for a stainless teapot to replace the one that my ex retained after our divorce. I had to order one (nice Farberware model) via the web.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You can get a new wife via the web? Well, why not?

I suspect only 1 or 2 levels of difficulty/work above getting a good quality real stainless steel teakettle nowadays! (Though I suspect there are a few retail outlets that have the darn things - Big Bucks real stainless steel teakettles that is rather than brides!)

That's not the situation.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

It's not--that "radiated" water is just nasty... :)
The joke aside, years ago Sir R A Fisher, the noted statistician while visiting during tea, a women there exclaimed that the cream must be in the cup before the tea was poured. Fisher, being the scientific sort, devised a blind taste test on the spot and indeed, she did pick out the offending cups...
"Never say never..." :)

I agree with the mil. Buried in this article there are a few words that tell you she and I are not alone.
http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2007/02/26/boiling /
nancy

That article also claims that the digital display of a microwave oven consumes 80% of all power used by the unit. That's just plain comedy!

Got me, perhaps because the microwave just sits there probably 95 percent of the time, if not more. I'm certainly not arguing the point at all.
nancy

I have an LCD travel clock with a display about the same size as the one on my microwave. It runs for several years on 2 AA size batteries.

I suspect it has higher efficiency technology due to requirement to run a long time on batteries. The display elements could be based on LED chips of a higher efficiency type, maybe "low current red" or something else highly efficient that became commonly available around or after 1986 such as GaAlAsP or InGaAlP. This is as opposed to what I consider the usual microwave digital displays from the late 1980's, which I have seen to often to be aqua-colored, and those were vacuum tube fluorescent digital displays, which required multiple voltages and cathode heating! LEDs of similar color and high efficiency first gained commercial practicality in the mid-late 1990's, and then generally only for applications with low LED chip count!

That is indeed possible if the microwave oven is plugged in all the time and only used a few minutes per week!
Though when it is cooking at full power, I expect less than 1% of the power consumption is going to the display and the control electronics and the low-voltage-output power supply that powers those.

I usually buy the store brands if they're available. In a few cases I've been unhappy with the taste and buy the name brand ones next time, but usually the store label ones are as good (or better), and a lot cheaper.
Mike O wrote:

Yep, in most cases the house brand products are perfectly acceptable. There may be some detectable difference if comparing side by side to a name brand, but not enough to justify the price difference.
Home Depot took the top 10% sellers in each category throughout the store and had those items copied in China and displays them within a recognized brands display area in place of the original product.
cm

Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) wrote:

But why would it really matter since it is frozen "pizza"?

6.75 ounces vs. 12 ounces is a big difference! If I was going to eat frozen "pizza", and I have done that enough times (thankfully I ride bicycles a lot!), I don't want to get only 6.75 ounces for a price that is merely lowish for 12 ounces!
- Don Klipstein (Jr), snipped-for-privacy@misty.com