Walmart, and the identical box trick

Page 1 of 2
I'd posted, that Walmart's Red Baron pizzas are 6.75 ounces for two, instead of 12 ounces. Went back to the same Wal, and they have "deep dish" frozen pizzas, which are 12 ounces for the two of them. Wish they would make the boxes a bit different.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

in message

I wonder if Red Baron might like to hear your suggestion. I see that their web site has an easy way to contact them.
On 10 Oct, 13:47, "Stormin Mormon \\(on backup computer\\)" <cayoung###++

They did make the boxes a bit diffferent. One box says Deep Dish and 12 oz on the box, the other says something else and 6.75 oz on the box.
What are you looking for...a different color/size/font/shape for each different product? Ever hear of Brand Recognition? I'll bet they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to try and get their packaging to be be recognizbale as their own. They can't have vastly different packages for every individual product.
Hate to say it, but you're going to have to read the boxes more carefully from now on.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:47:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) wrote:

BJ's wholesale club often sold house brands of foodstuffs that were packaged almost identical to name brands and placed them side by side on the shelf. I thought that was very deceptive and I let them know it.
Meat Plow wrote:

food items, but toothpaste and such as well. Same color package, similar lettering, etc. They know that if people grab the wrong one, and don't realize until they check out, they will seldom go back and get the right one, especially if people are in line behind them.
Lotsa times the house brands are the exact same product, however. Sometimes the containers are even identical, just with different labels.
aem sends...

Many people consider this practice as helpful, rather than deceptive. It helps to show the identical product at a lesser price. Yes, you need to read the labels, but in most cases the ingredients and proportions are the same. Check the ingredienst and price differential between Listerine cool mint and the house brand that looks similar. Benedryl antihistimine tablets?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

In many cases the house brand product now specifically say "Compare to <name brand>" and indicate that it's not made by that company.

In some cases, they ARE made by the same company.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

That used to be the case years ago, not so much these days, and when made by the same company, it's typically a case of a contract producer doing the production for a large number of brands and all to different specifications.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yep.
There are only TWO companies in the US that manufacture the raw ingredient in aspirin and only ONE that does so for multi-vitamins.

From dim memory, I seem to recall Kodak being one of them. But, I did say "dim".
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:34:02 -0400, salty wrote:

Not the same as the taste of food. I'll buy generic medicine all day long but not generic food.
Meat Plow wrote:

Huh? Is there a non-generic carrot? I mean, I guess there COULD be a branded pumpkin, but...

What supermarket chains do you patronize? I'm asking because in SOME instances, you can't make a blanket statement about generic brands any more. For instance, we have Wegman's here, and their store brand canned goods are about as spotty as any other store's. But, they have quite a few products that are remarkable - better than the name brands, in some cases.
Some private label manufacturers will follow whatever recipe is called for by the supermarket chain whose name will go on the product. If the chain wants to create a cheap, lame product, that's what they'll get. Not all chains go this route, though.
aemeijers wrote:

ALDI is the king of this scheme...
Rob

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:05:50 +0000, aemeijers wrote:

Sorry but the house brands I mistook for the name brands tastes like shit.

Bet you couldn't tell the difference if you didn't know which was which. I worked with a broad who wouldn't use brown coffee filters as she could "taste" it. I slipped one in on her and she never noticed.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

way I did. Canned Veggies, for example, the house brand is often a notch lower on grading scale, even if it comes out of same plant. Bottled grapefruit or lemon juice, OTOH, is often obviously out of the same bottling plant, in the same glass or PET bottles, just with different labels. Tuna- well, you takes your chances. Judging by the lot numbering schema on the top, looks like the entire gamut, from name brand extra fancy to cat food, comes off the same factory ship, and it is a judgment call when they change labels. OTC Meds- the name brand and generic can be out of the same factory, but usually not, although the house brands at the various chains are often from the same place.
All you can do is do a sample purchase of a single container on the house brand, and give it a try. If you can't tell the difference, go with the cheap stuff, and hope they don't change suppliers the next month. 'House brand' often changes on the fly, as they get lower bids from some <other> vendor looking to keep a factory running full shifts.
aem sends...
on 10/10/2007 11:14 PM aemeijers said the following:

There was one of those no-name gas stations on the highway where I used to work. The tankers that refueled the station were branded Humble (now Exxon), Mobil, and other name brands.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

My mother in law claims that if I boil water in the microwave for her tea, it's not the same as if I boil it on the stove.