Wallpaper removal question

If you were the one that papered the room, and if you thought to keep a spare roll of the same pattern, that may be true. Ever try matching

20 year old wallpaper, on a house that had paper when you bought it? To make it look right, I'm gonna have to strip entire room (including pulling the vanity and WC for access), and either repaper, or skim- coat and paint, all to patch a hole where a duct was removed.

Seriously thinking of cheating and mounting a mirror over the spot.

Yeah, I have good reason to dislike wallpaper.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Ok, THAT must be a total bummer. I always keep a spare roll or two when I paper, and with my current house, I was fortunate to find a closet full of wallpaper rolls which had been saved for at least 100 years. There was some for every paper on the walls, and a TON of rolls which were no longer in use. When I re-did the living room I found 6 layers of paper before I got to the plaster (how lazy do you have to be to paper over paper?), and I had a spare roll for each of those layers! I donated the stuff from the 1800s to the local historical society. There was enough of one of the papers for them to put it up in a hallway of their Victorian display house.

Reply to
<h>

You bought your house from the most considerate seller in the entire history of the planet. :)

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Yup, same here! There were several rolls of wallpaper in a closet in the basement the previous owner left when we bought this old house almost 20 years ago. Still there!

Reply to
user

Wallpaper is a sore issue with me (bathroom walls papered over bare unpainted sheetrock) but I have the spare tile for the bathrooms, carpet (just installed), and bamboo for the halls/diningroom/kitchen that I'm planning on leaving when we move, hopefully in a couple of months. I also have paint, but some get sticky over such things. The last house had to be completely empty. The relo company was a real hard-ass about such things.

The thing I really appreciated from the previous owners of this house was a folder with all the manuals and warranty information for the appliances. They've come in very handy over the years.

Reply to
krw

Oh man, that really helps. I was similarly fortunate when I purchased my current home. The seller was a realtor and she did an outstanding job with those documents including receipts for some earlier minor repairs plus extra paint, tiles and other assorted paraphernalia.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

When I sold my last home, I left manuals for the appliances in a kitchen drawer, along with schematic for the sprinkler system.

Reply to
Norminn