Wallpaper removal

What's the best to remove wallpaper? Thanks
Sal Malva wrote:

2 Zinsser products....
stripper gel Zinsser DIF http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID  about $12 a gallon, used half gallon on 8' x 13' wall, single layer heavy paper over painted dry wall.
Paper Tiger scoring tool http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID about $6
score the paper, more the better. Brush the gel on, let soak 15-20 min, paper slides off with a putty knife.
--reed

I'd add that you don't need to lean into the Paper Tiger; it works fine with very little pressure. Don't ask me how I know...
Don't use a steamer or the paper on the drywall will come up. We also used vinegar & water in a spray bottle.

well
Save your money. Use hot water and vinegar in a common spray bottle. You can even use an empty Windex bottle.
THE KEY IS PATIENCE.
Once you spray, let the water do its work. Some wallpapers will immediately take on the hue of wet brown paper sacks. Give it about 3 minutes. Respray the dry spots you can see. Wait. Start at an edge or corner, and pull slightly. If it starts peeling off, go slowly. Work on a 3 ft x 3 ft area at a time so it doesn't dry out on you, or you don't get it soggy. Different wallpapers will release differently due to the surface. If they are a plastic/vinyl surface, the hot water won't sink in as fast as plain paper. Sometimes you have to peel the plastic layer off so that the water can soften the paper layer. Get a plastic putty knife to help you but don't make work by scraping hard or you will have retexturing work to do later on.
Remember, the key is go slow. I removed wallpaper from a 1800 sf house that had wallpaper on everything but the ceiling and floor. I learned a lot, but the most important tip I can give you is to go slow.
Paper tigers help, but again, be careful not to make marks. They make the nonporous types come off better by getting the water through the nonporous layer.
Steve
PS: I have two gallons of DIF in the garage I have to take back. Plain hot water worked better.
Be careful using water on wall paper that's on dry wall.

The key is to soak only as much as you can work with before it dries out.
I removed wallpaper from a 1800 sf house that

Having made my living installing & removing wallpaper for the past 25 years I have to agree with 'most' of what youve said. The key is patience but more important than that is to let the water do the work. Let it soak & spray it again, then let soak & spray it again........
Don't try to get it off till it's ready. You don't want to gouge the wall.
I'd forget about the windex bottle though. You'd wear your hand out before getting enough water on it. An inexpensive garden sprayer works better.
Sometimes, once is is soaked well & very wet, I'll stick thin plastic drops to the wall. It keeps it from drying out & the water will hold it tight to the wall.
i just had this done! first he removed the vinyl part of the paper (just stripped it right off) the backing (paper) stuck to the wall, as it had been improperly prepped.
then he sprayed on DIF wallpaper remover mixed with hot water. let it sit for 15 minutes and then gently scraped the paper away. (it really DID peel right off) BE SURE TO WASH THE WALLS AFTERWARDS!
--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"deficit spending is an unconscionable form of fiscal child abuse."

I'm piggybacking to echo what this poster has said. I removed a ton of wallpaper this summer. When DH used the Paper Tiger, he leaned into it and I had a lot of marks to fix. Used very lightly, there were no marks and it worked like a charm.
We also used a garden sprayer for the DIF wallpaper remover.
And when you wash your walls when you've finished, use a floor sponge mop. It's just so much easier & faster than anything else.
Be sure you get *all* the paste off or you'll be very unhappy when you're painting.