Wallpaper or Paint in bathroom

Hi all,
I'm planning on remodeling my bathroom, and I'm undecided whether I'll put-up wallpaper, which is what's in there now, or paint the room.
With either option, are there any special types of paint or wallpaper for bathrooms? I'm worried about the steam from the shower causing the paint or wallpaper to peal over time.
Also, is there anything special that needs to be done to prepare the walls? I've never messed with wallpaper (putting up or removing), but I can get a book on this I guess.
Thanks for suggestions,
Sam
Yes, there is a special kind of wallpaper for bathrooms. The previous owner of my house installed it, and did a nice job. But even so, the seams are beginning to lift very slightly. Fortunately, he also installed a fan made for a room 5 times bigger, which I understand is the ONLY correct way to choose a bathroom fan. Unfortunately, certain parties in my house think the fan makes the room chilly during showers, so they only turn it on AFTER they're done. I'm thinking of installing a motion sensor in the tub area. :-)
Anyway....the key is a good fan, and adequate enforcement. If someone in your family thinks it's not necessary to use the fan religiously, make sure they are right beside you when you install the wallpaper, and tell them THEY can do the whole job themselves in 3-4 years if the stuff begins peeling.

LOL! I like your attitude!
Pop
| > Hi all, | > | > I'm planning on remodeling my bathroom, and I'm undecided whether I'll | > put-up wallpaper, which is what's in there now, or paint the room. | > | > With either option, are there any special types of paint or wallpaper | > for bathrooms? I'm worried about the steam from the shower causing | > the paint or wallpaper to peal over time. | > | > Also, is there anything special that needs to be done to prepare the | > walls? I've never messed with wallpaper (putting up or removing), but | > I can get a book on this I guess. | > | > Thanks for suggestions, | > | > Sam | |
Alex wrote:

Wash the walls well to get rid of soap scum, mold, etc. Use a touch of bleach in the water and rinse and dry well. Sand/patch any irregularities. Prime patches if you will be painting. There are paints labeled for use in bathrooms, but I've never used them. Semi-gloss latex for walls, semi-gloss alkyd for trim and doors.
For papering, get a good brand of vinyl coated paper. Follow instructions with the paper. Use a fine bead of clear silicone caulk along bottom edge and edges adjoining shower/bath enclosure. If you don't have a vent fan, get one. Some moisture will form on walls, and if enough will run down the wall and loosen bottom edge of paper, esp. near tub/shower.