Wallpaper Curls At Seams

Two years ago I started a project - since interrupted - because the old wallpaper was curling at the seams. Now I notice that the paper I hung is doing the same. I assume level of humidity and skill of the paper hanger are the major factors. I know for a fact the original stuff was done by an amature. Though I'm no pro, I hung a few rolls over the years.
The house probably does swing to low levels of humidity from time to time despite a humidifier (Ohio) and dehumidifier. I tend to think the root cause is probably me; I may have rolled the seams too tight... if that's possible.
Any experts out there who have an opinion of the root cause? I suppose the remedy is just get some paste, pull back the curling edges a tad, slap some more paste on the wall, and reroll.
Walls were not primed or sealed allowing the glue to absorb , not enough glue , Gluing pre- pasted is often a good idea.
John Gregory wrote:

I also live in Ohio and had wallpaper long before I had a humidifier. I have not had any problems with edge lift.
The first thing that I would suspect is surface prep. What was the surface like that the wall paper was put on? Did you use wall sizing or other sealer on the walls before hanging the wallpaper?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
John Gregory wrote:

talked to several wallpaper men over the years and found out that the seams will roll up after time if you used too much pressure with the roller over the seams... this just squeezes out the glue that is needed to keep it in place... i have learned the hard way and will never forget... so trying to get the seams down by pressing real hard is just hurting it....seems like it would be the opposite... live and learn.. i am learning all the time by my mistakes..
Looks like the root cause is... me. Too much pressure on the edges when applying the paste. The surfaces were properly washed with solvent and sized. I do remember applying a LOT of pressure at some of those edges thinking I was going to hide the slightest hint of a seam. Well... that didn't work out too well. I assume I can lift the edges and repaste. Only concern is... those curled edges may have memory by now. If that's the case... my first thought is... duct tape to hold in place until the paste dries.
Any other suggestions?

is
are
time
cause
possible.
the
some
There is special paste for seams that pop , it grabs quick, use that instead of regular paste.
Know what it's called by chance? Some of the "help" I find in HD and Lowe's leaves me wanting.

Go to a real paint store HD probably would not carry it

Stick-Ease Wallcovering Seam Repair by Roman Adhesives at HD, Lowes, your friendly neighborhood hardware, etc etc. Comes in a squeezy tube with a narrow nozzle. Squirt it along the lifted edges, gently roll. It's thick and goopy and requires a extra rollovers or damp cloth wipeovers as it dries. It does a good job. I just re-seamed a number of edges on 15+ year old paper in my dining room. Similar humid/dry cycles here in MIchigan, with steam radiator heating making humidity control very difficult!
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 05:12:46 GMT, "John Gregory"

If you use that stuff you'll have a hell of a time if you ever want to remove it.
Use regular pre mixed wallcovering adhesive. Thin it down a little bit. As far as memory, brush it in & let it soak for a little bit. Once it soaks the paper will relax.
Take it from a pro.

Not the kind that comes in a box that I mix myself? Premixed in ajar or can... the stuff for regular paperhanging? Nothing extra strength?

that
lifted
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:02:55 GMT, "John Gregory"

<snip>
I'd suggest a pre-mixed clear, you can get a quart or smaller.
Thin a small amount down to where it's... ummm.... maybe like... spilt pea soup. Brush it under there. If you get too much resistance trying to push it out its likely too thick. You should recognize when you have the right consistency.
Let it soak for a few minutes- the glue actually becomes part of the paper. Smooth it out well & be sure to clean any excess. It likely shrunk a little bit too. The longer you let it soak (without letting it get too tacky) the more it will expand. If it has a vinyl coating, a little heat helps securing it into place. Since you probably don't have a heat gun lying around, a hair dryer is the next best choice.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 02:29:57 GMT, "John Gregory"

I'd bet this is a pre-paste. Pre paste's have varying degrees of glue on them.
The manufacturers that sell them suggest running them through a water tray. This is a joke on the DIYer. How porous is the wall? What they don't mention is that smooth plaster, bare drywall, acrylic primers, textured walls,....will NOT accept the adhesive at the same rate. Walls are painted? With what? How heavy is the wallcovering..?
Each condition is different.
Humidity is part of the equasition yes, but not likely the result of your problem.