Wallpaper!

Any ideas on how to remove wallpaper? I did it before, and it was a mess! Is there something I can rent, or is there some new ways of doing it! Andy
Andy & Carol wrote:

I've always found the steam units, that you can rent, most effective.
Steam unit is the only way to go, besides paying someone to do it! :)
I have gone the steam route and the spay bottle route. I don't think there is any way that isn't messy.
Harry K
Basic wallpaper removal solution and a broad knife ( putty knife ) .The key is scoring the wallpaper plenty times and let the solution soak in. Very easy ,comes off like a charm with minimal mess. I've done it plenty of times. On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:17:16 GMT, "Andy & Carol"

I have a string wallpaper I'll want to remove a year or so down the road. Does this need any special measures?
Banty

I have never used a steamer. I have used a commercial product called DIF and a home made solution (Warm water and vinegar).
The key is to get the glue wet with the solution.
This can be easy or hard.
Some papers are vinyl. The solution will not penetrate to the glue. In that case you need to get one of those tools to poke little holes in the outer layer so the glue or solution can penetrate. That's, unfortunately, has the side affect of causing the paper to come off in small pieces.
Some papers that do have an impermeable layer can be split. Try to just pull off the outer part of the wallpaper without doing anything else first. Just use a utility knife to lift a corner and start pulling carefully. If you can get off the decorative layer then the glue layer will come off easily with the solution above.
Now - The bad news - If the paper was installed directly against unprimed drywall it will never come off. Argh.
Are you removing it from drywall or plaster?

past. I dealt with wallpaper that was glued directly to unprimed 1st generation drywall. No method of cajoling would get it off w/o damage to the paper facing on the drywall. I suspect the same would be true with modern drywall or even plaster.
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:17:16 GMT, "Andy & Carol"

peeled the vinyl off the backer of the wallpaper and then sprayed plain water of the backer. It peeled right off after a 5 minute soak. You may have to spray some areas more that apear dry . Then a wet sponge to remove the old glue. Do this right away as the glue is still wet.

It is on plastered walls that have been painted,house built in 1954 Andy>