WallBorder removal

Hello:

Well--I have started my bath remoddel job. My wife got the bright idea that she wanted cove molding in place of the wall border now on the wall.

WELLlllllllllllll---she is now upstairs cursing and fuming because the damn border does not strip off!

I know this has been covered previously and it seems near impossible to get this stuff off easily.

Hopefully, someone herein has come up with a method. We are presently using warm water and a scraper---but---at this rate, I will be 90 before I get it off!! We don't know if we should rent a steamer and/or score it and spray on some sort of chemical to loosen it.

Please---any suggestion on what to use and the best process!

Thx and peace to you and yours

Reply to
spot-the-dalmation

You need some dif wallpaper remover and a red round tool with sharp teeth on the bottom to score the paper and then apply the dif stuff.this link explains it.http://www.lelandswallpaper.com/dif2.htm

Reply to
PoCambo

I second that....DIF and a paper scoring tool to allow the liquid to penetrate easier...

Reply to
LFR

Reply to
nospambob

I did this a year ago. I tried the DIF and paper tiger, that didn't that well. Steamer did the trick, it came of in two layers even though it was a single later of border paper. I fought for days, only getting maybe 10' of it off, then got the steamer and the other 60 feet of it came off in about 4 hours of work. The biggest problem with the paper tiger is that it was also scoring the wallboard underneath.

Reply to
J Kelly

Thx to all that took the time to respond.

Well----It has been two days and we have removed about 1 foot of this damn border using the paper tiger and dif. The hell with it! This stuff is impossible to remove. And----it should not be!! The damn wrapper on this border says "strippable"! Be warned---do not put border up unless you want it on the wall forever!!

I decided to just seal and paint over the damn stuff. Maybe my wife will just put anothe border on top of it or I will nail some molding over it.

It astounds me that in this day and age---there is nothing out there to make this a painless task!! Oh well---so much for the damn mfgs. claim that the border is strippable----it is-----if you have a putty knife surgically attached to your hand!!!! peace to you (but the hell to all border makers)!

Reply to
spot-the-dalmation

[...]

Now you see how a painter can get screwed on a job, that is only one of a hundred ways. Surrre Painting is always simple, You dont know what glue was used, but one was used to make sure it stayed with shower steam. Once I had a room of walls papered with that glue , and the customer refused the extra. Even if you rented a steamer it would have taken long not to mention the time and $

Reply to
m Ransley

Don't blame the border. Blame the adhesive (or the idiot) that was used to install it. Most borders are pre-pasted, whomever hung it added something else.

Wait a minute....

The damn

You have the wrapper? I smell sometin fishy

Reply to
3rd eye

AMEN, ma' man!

Reply to
spot-the-dalmation

sounds like someone used a self adhesive wall paper that had a backing that was not removed, used some sort of glue not ment to be.

I have never had an issue removing wallpaper witha mix of Dif and hot water in a pump sprayer, sometimes really have to soak it down a good bit but always does the trick.

I worked with my brother in-law some, He is a full time painter, He usually tries to stay away from wall paper jobs when he contracts for the painting, letting the home owner take care of removing or getting someone else to. If they insist he bills as a seperate job and by the hour per person. Many times I and one of his sons would get the job removing the wall paper, we usually made more per hour doing that than the painting but would rather not.

Everytime my wife even starts to think about looking at wallpaper for the house I start calling the divorce layer (mostly as a joke, but if she ever brings any home, well....)

Reply to
MC