Wallboard ceiling - Crackling sounds

I live in a wood-frame apartment with a wallboard ceiling. When the resident above me walks on his floor, my ceiling makes a light crackling sound in the general area of each step.
I've theorized that the crackling sound might be related to the normal shrinkage and settling which occurred after the wallboard was nailed to the (probably wet) joists.
Any helpful advice on how to eliminate the sounds would be much appreciated.